Old 03-06-2007, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Apple tree

I planted a 2 in 1 Stark "golden-red delicious" tree last year. It did well
until this spring. The leaves are turning brown and curling. I can not
find and insects or "nibbling" damage. The few blossoms that it had this
year quickly turned brown and died. At first it was only on 3 small
branches and so I removed them... disinfecting between cuts... and burned
them. Now I think only the longest branches are not being affected... and
I fear they soon will be. I have looked on-line for an image that matches
what I see but I haven't had any luck. Any ideas would be grateful.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 3, 10:34 am, Homer wrote:
I planted a 2 in 1 Stark "golden-red delicious" tree last year. It did well
until this spring. The leaves are turning brown and curling. I can not
find and insects or "nibbling" damage. The few blossoms that it had this
year quickly turned brown and died. At first it was only on 3 small
branches and so I removed them... disinfecting between cuts... and burned
them. Now I think only the longest branches are not being affected... and
I fear they soon will be. I have looked on-line for an image that matches
what I see but I haven't had any luck. Any ideas would be grateful.

If you ordered from Stark get them to send you a free replacement.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
KW KW is offline

"Homer" wrote in message
et...
I planted a 2 in 1 Stark "golden-red delicious" tree last year. It did

well
until this spring. The leaves are turning brown and curling. I can not
find and insects or "nibbling" damage. The few blossoms that it had this
year quickly turned brown and died. At first it was only on 3 small
branches and so I removed them... disinfecting between cuts... and burned
them. Now I think only the longest branches are not being affected... and
I fear they soon will be. I have looked on-line for an image that matches
what I see but I haven't had any luck. Any ideas would be grateful.

Homer,

From your description, it sounds like Fireblight to me. Check out the info
on the following link for treatment and preventative measures.

Keith

Old 04-06-2007, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I think KW may be correct about this being Fireblight. This disease can wipe
out
an entire orchard, so I would get rid of this tree if you think that selective
pruning
would not do the job.

I have never had luck with these 'combination' trees, but I can't think of any
reason
why they shouldn't work. I don't like doing business with Starks, mainly
because
they mass produce these trees and you don't know details like what root stock
they
were planted on. This tree could have been infected with Fireblight when Starks

sent it to you. Try a different nursery like Raintree in California, who are
more
selective about what they sell (I don't work for them).

Sherwin D.

KW wrote:

"Homer" wrote in message
et...
I planted a 2 in 1 Stark "golden-red delicious" tree last year. It did

well
until this spring. The leaves are turning brown and curling. I can not
find and insects or "nibbling" damage. The few blossoms that it had this
year quickly turned brown and died. At first it was only on 3 small
branches and so I removed them... disinfecting between cuts... and burned
them. Now I think only the longest branches are not being affected... and
I fear they soon will be. I have looked on-line for an image that matches
what I see but I haven't had any luck. Any ideas would be grateful.

Homer,

From your description, it sounds like Fireblight to me. Check out the info

Old 04-06-2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks for the info! Fireblight is not prevalent here... I never thought of
it already being sick when it arrived.
Thank you all so very much.

sherwindu wrote:

[...]

KW wrote:

"Homer" wrote in message
et...
I planted a 2 in 1 Stark "golden-red delicious" tree last year. It did

well
until this spring. The leaves are turning brown and curling. I can not
find and insects or "nibbling" damage. The few blossoms that it had
this
year quickly turned brown and died. At first it was only on 3 small
branches and so I removed them... disinfecting between cuts... and
burned
them. Now I think only the longest branches are not being affected...
and
I fear they soon will be. I have looked on-line for an image that
matches
what I see but I haven't had any luck. Any ideas would be grateful.

Homer,

From your description, it sounds like Fireblight to me. Check out the
info on the following link for treatment and preventative measures.

Keith