Old 27-06-2007, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How do you put on bird netting over fruit trees?

writes:
James wrote:
I got the netting but it get all tangled up with my shirt buttons and
is impossible to get over the tree. It's almost invisible.

There are at least 4 squirrels dinning on my pears. I only got 4
Bartlet left on the tree so I can just wrap them. I had just thin the
Asian pears and right after the squirrels thin them a whole lot more.
Was going to shoot them up they are young ones and I didn't have the
heart.

We use two people with a pole about 10-12 feet long each. At the end of
the pole I used a saw and cut a Y. The Y holds the netting while you get
it up and over the top. Put the netting on after the fruit sets but
before it gets any bigger. Pull the netting together at the base of the
tree and tie it loosely around the trunk. This spring was the first time
I netted my fruit trees and also the first time I beat the squirrels and
the grackles to the fruit. I would shoot the tree rats but I live in a
town that has, unwisely, proclaimed itself a "wildlife refuge." The old
biddy next door puts out corn on the cob for the tree rats and they
bring it over to my place and drop it all over the place. Occasionally
my Rat Terrier gets a squirrel and that's legal but not enough to please
me when there's twenty of them after my garden and fruit. Not to mention
the electrical transformers they commit suicide with blowing up. HTH

George

We have a neighbor who feeds peanuts to them. Nice of her, especially
since they bring them to my yard, pull up my plants and put the peanut in
the new hole they just made. Amazingly, many walk into the live animal
trap and ask to be taken to the wildlife refuge or the park.

I cannot begin to tell you how much damage they have caused in my yard and
garden. A couple of years ago, one day I spent about $75 on plants; the
next morning, every tomato, herb, etc., was pulled out of its pot, but I
had peanuts! Grrrrr. That was just one time. So when they ask to go to
the park, I'm only too happy to accommodate them.

There occasionally is some humor. One day, I was looking out the window
and noticed a scrub jay apparently watching the squirrel. Watching the
jay, I discovered he was waiting for the squirrel to leave the peanut,
then he went over and took it and ate it. Love that jay!

Glenna

Glenna

Old 27-06-2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 27, 1:39 am, (Glenna Rose) wrote:
writes:
James wrote:
[...]

Maybe you should try growing peanuts. Chuckle.