Old 29-06-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default finally came!

writes:
In article fc.003d0941022ba0753b9aca001ab6f40a.22ba07b@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:
[snip]
It adds up...at least
we don't have sales tax! I went back to Seattle for a week to visit
family,
and I had totally forgotten there was such a thing as sales tax ;-)

However, showing your Oregon driver's license, you didn't have to pay

it.
That is better than it was in past decades.

Glenna

Glenna, just a follow up from a previous posting. How's your birdhouse
gourd doing. Mine must be doing an inch a day.
--
Billy

Finally starting to grow. Both birdhouse gourds are still in the pots but
to go in the ground in the next few days. Both have two full sets of true
leaves, one is 6 inches tall, the other 4 inches. Both luffa plants have
their second set of true leaves starting, but only an inch or so tall.
One is still in a pot, the other is planted by the chicken house with a
bird cage over it. According to the info I found at
http://www.luffa.info, the luffa plants are quite prolific and will go
wild when they get going, figured it would be shade for the ladies on
those hot August and September days.

I will probably plant one of the birdhouse gourds on the chicken's fence
as it will provide good support (2x4 fence wire).

The other gourd and luffa will go someplace in the garden, but the chicken
yard gets full sun all day and few other places do. All four plants are
incredibly healthy looking so that is a good sign. My repotting soil came
from the chicken house floor (was a former dog kennel with protection on
the walls so had a dirt floor) and was incredibly fertile.

Thanks for asking. Perhaps these gourds will start an inch a day next
week when our temps will be in the 80s and 90s.

Glenna