Old 26-07-2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Him Him is offline

Default No eggplants???

Any ideas why I don't have any eggplants growing on my eggplant plants?

The plants look very healthy and there are plenty of buds but they never
start eggplants.

I have the plants in two sections of the garden in groups of 4 plants each
group. Close by are zucks and cucumbers that are doing wonderfully
themselves. The ground is ph nuetral with a base of clay and sandy loam
with peat and sterilized manure added in to top 8 to 12 inches over the past
10 years. Region 6b.

Thanks

Old 26-07-2007, 09:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Him said:

Any ideas why I don't have any eggplants growing on my eggplant plants?

The plants look very healthy and there are plenty of buds but they never
start eggplants.

I have the plants in two sections of the garden in groups of 4 plants each
group. Close by are zucks and cucumbers that are doing wonderfully
themselves. The ground is ph nuetral with a base of clay and sandy loam
with peat and sterilized manure added in to top 8 to 12 inches over the
past 10 years. Region 6b.

Have the blossoms opened or have they dropped before opening?

Any chance something is nipping the blossoms off? I've had problems
some years with young starlings nipping off eggplant flowers. Some
years they concentrated on squash buds. (They definitely run through
a trial-and-error period as they learn fend for themselves, and it's not
always pretty.)

What's the weather been like locally? We have set some record lows
here, which have not been eggplant-friendly. (Good thing I had some
fruit set during a warmer spell.)

(attributed to Don Marti)