Old 01-05-2006, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pete from Boston

Default Interesting eggplants

I'm thinking of growing some of those round green Thai eggplants this
year, and I'm hunting out some small red ones that looked like plum
tomatoes that I had once. Anyone got any other
"grow-them-yourself-becasue-they're-hard-to-find-in-stores" eggplant
suggestions?

Old 01-05-2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pete from Boston" wrote:

I'm thinking of growing some of those round green Thai eggplants this
year, and I'm hunting out some small red ones that looked like plum
tomatoes that I had once. Anyone got any other
"grow-them-yourself-becasue-they're-hard-to-find-in-stores" eggplant
suggestions?

Check out one called Fairy Tale. Very compact plant, fruit is lavender
with white stripes and is non-bitter with few seeds. We use them for
grilling and in stir-frys.
We got our seed from a local seed house but, I'm sure they'll be
available many places. They were an AAS winner last year, not often
that happens to an eggplant.

Ross
Southern Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º17'28.63" North
80º13'28.55" West
To email, remove the obvious from my address.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz

Pete from Boston said:

I'm thinking of growing some of those round green Thai eggplants this
year, and I'm hunting out some small red ones that looked like plum
tomatoes that I had once. Anyone got any other
"grow-them-yourself-becasue-they're-hard-to-find-in-stores" eggplant
suggestions?

Ross beat me to it! I also recommend 'Fairy Tale.' Excellent little
eggplant. It is, hands down,the best tasting and most productive of
the small eggplants I've tried.

Another eggplant variety I like is 'Neon' which seems to have suffered
from a seed crop failure this year. This is a white-fleshed (firm-textured)
type of eggplant. The fruit color is a bright pink/violet -- very eyecatching.

(attributed to Don Marti)