Old 31-07-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Default Blackberry Bushes

Just yesterday, I picked a gallon of blackberries from my father-in-law's
six bushes. These are a unknown, thorned variety.

I would like to grow my own. Can anyone recommend a variety and a reputible
supplier?

I live in Southern New Jersey, zone 7a or 6b depending on which map you
follow.

Thanks,

Tim

Old 31-07-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi All,

"Tim" wrote in message
Just yesterday, I picked a gallon of blackberries from my father-in-law's
six bushes. These are a unknown, thorned variety.

I would like to grow my own. Can anyone recommend a variety and a
reputible supplier?

I live in Southern New Jersey, zone 7a or 6b depending on which map you
follow.

Thanks,

Tim

Can you not take a cutting or better still a piece of root from your
farther-in-laws bushes. It is dead easy to root. The only problem is if you
want to get rid of it as it will spread everywere. One shure fire way to
root it is to take a branch and peg it to the ground untill it roots, then
cut it off and you have anew plant. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

..

Old 31-07-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Tim wrote:

Just yesterday, I picked a gallon of blackberries from my father-in-law's
six bushes. These are a unknown, thorned variety.

I would like to grow my own. Can anyone recommend a variety and a reputible
supplier?

I live in Southern New Jersey, zone 7a or 6b depending on which map you
follow.

Thanks,

Tim

I'm growing Triple Crown, a thornless variety I got from Stark Brothers
Nursery in Louisiana, MO. Planted them in January and picked a very
small crop of berries in April. They are low growing and fairly easy to
train. The six plants I planted in January have taken up about 20 feet
of prepared bed now. I'm looking forward to a large crop next spring. I
live in USDA Zone 9b so your mileage may vary.

George

Old 01-08-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

"R M. Watkin" wrote in message
Hi All,

"Tim" wrote in message
Just yesterday, I picked a gallon of blackberries from my father-in-law's
six bushes. These are a unknown, thorned variety.

I would like to grow my own. Can anyone recommend a variety and a
reputible supplier?

I live in Southern New Jersey, zone 7a or 6b depending on which map you
follow.

Thanks,

Tim

Can you not take a cutting or better still a piece of root from your
farther-in-laws bushes. It is dead easy to root. The only problem is if
you want to get rid of it as it will spread everywere. One shure fire way
to root it is to take a branch and peg it to the ground untill it roots,
then cut it off and you have anew plant. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

.

I was planning to some root from my father-in-laws bunch to start one or
two.

I was thinking also of trying one or two other varieties. Unfortuneatly, my
f-i-l doesn't know what variety he has. It is an upright, non-thorning.

Doing some web research, the "Triple Crown" cultiver looks interesting to
me. It seems to consistently rank best in flavor. Does anyone know how
winter hardy this trailing variety is? I am in zone 7/6b depending on which
map you are looking at.

Thank you,

Tim
S.NewJersey