Old 06-08-2007, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Default man arrested for compost pile

FragileWarrior expounded:

On the other hand, my draft nicely planted flax in the pasture for me
before I realized I had to grind his daily dose of Omega3.

LOL! It's a lovely weed, though, isn't it? )
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 07-08-2007, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Ann wrote in news:r49fb31j7mqtj1kmme50esn5surm3rgat3@
4ax.com:

FragileWarrior expounded:

On the other hand, my draft nicely planted flax in the pasture for me
before I realized I had to grind his daily dose of Omega3.

LOL! It's a lovely weed, though, isn't it? )

I love it. I'm going to spread it* far and wide before I leave here. Any
blue flower is a good flower in my book.

*from the 50# of unused seeds I have
Old 07-08-2007, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Ann" wrote in message
zxcvbob expounded:

I would get 2 or 3 yards of horse manure if I could, just for my little
garden. It doesn't stink nearly as bad as pig or chicken.

Too many weed seeds in horse manure, they don't ruminate. Stick to
cow manure.

Too generalised advice.

I use massive amounts of horse manure and have never found weeds to be a
problem. The odd weed comes up but because the manure does such a fantastic
job in improving the soil, the few weeds that do grow are very easy to pull
out.

Because we breed cattle, I also use lots of cow manure and my experieince is
that I get more weeds from the cow manure than I do from the horse manure.

It's all about the surface of the drop zone. The horse manure comes from
horses that don't poop on pasture. The poop is all collected from clean
ground. The cow poop I collect off our pasture and because the poop drops
straight on pasture with seeds that are all "weeds" when in my garden, then
I bring in weedseeds with the cow poop. If I used poop collected from the
floor of a dairy then I wouldn't have weeds from the cow poop.

Weeds will grow whether brought in with poop or brought in by wind or birds.
There is no escape from weeding.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 8/6/07 6:46 PM, in article ,
"Ann" wrote:

FragileWarrior expounded:

On the other hand, my draft nicely planted flax in the pasture for me
before I realized I had to grind his daily dose of Omega3.

LOL! It's a lovely weed, though, isn't it? )

Yes, I wouldn't mind that for a weed!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:24 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given expounded:

"Ann" wrote in message
zxcvbob expounded:

I would get 2 or 3 yards of horse manure if I could, just for my little
garden. It doesn't stink nearly as bad as pig or chicken.

Too many weed seeds in horse manure, they don't ruminate. Stick to
cow manure.

Too generalised advice.

No, it's my experience. Yours is different.

I use massive amounts of horse manure and have never found weeds to be a
problem. The odd weed comes up but because the manure does such a fantastic
job in improving the soil, the few weeds that do grow are very easy to pull
out.

I used horse manure on my gardens once. I got the same smartweed all
over everything. Never again.

Because we breed cattle, I also use lots of cow manure and my experieince is
that I get more weeds from the cow manure than I do from the horse manure.

Cows ruminate and grind up weed seeds. Some of the cow manure I get
is from a dairy farmer, I have never had a huge problem with weeds
from that manure. The other manure is from a farmer that has cattle
and goats. Again no massive wee problem.

It's all about the surface of the drop zone. The horse manure comes from
horses that don't poop on pasture. The poop is all collected from clean
ground. The cow poop I collect off our pasture and because the poop drops
straight on pasture with seeds that are all "weeds" when in my garden, then
I bring in weedseeds with the cow poop. If I used poop collected from the
floor of a dairy then I wouldn't have weeds from the cow poop.

The manure itself is the problem, as I said, cows ruminate, horses
shoot it straight through. The fact that it might sit in a field and
collect windblown weed seeds still isn't going to make up for unground
seeds in the manure.

Weeds will grow whether brought in with poop or brought in by wind or birds.
There is no escape from weeding.

No kidding. But why increase the weeds when it can be avoided? You
like horse manure? Fine. I won't use it in my flower gardens. Maybe
in the veggie garden, but why bother when I've had better experience
with cow manure?