Old 08-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Registered User

Default Coffee grounds

Has anybody had experience with using coffee grounds as mulch? Has anybody used them for adding organic matter?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ken Lichtsinn" wrote in message

Has anybody had experience with using coffee grounds as mulch? Has
anybody used them for adding organic matter?

I have made quite extensive use of coffee grounds as a grass mulch under
hedges, as an isulating layer on gardens over winter, as a soil conditioner,
as a fertiliser and in compost.

good as a mulch, dependent on what you want the mulch to do. To deter weeds
you will need to pile in on quite thickly but it will do a good job. As a
soil conditioner or to preserve a tilth during winter also very good.
Grounds will sit around for several months as a layer on top of the soil and
decompose. They stick together quite nicely on the top whilst near the
bottom they compost. The top may get dry and crusty whereas near the bottom
the grounds remain moist. You will get a bit of mold but that doesn't seem
to be a problem. A decent mulch of grounds on a garden over autumn will
leave a nice moist fertile planting bed by spring. I have used them for
several seasons on a number of my gardens & have witnesses the results.

As a source of organic matter also very good from my observation. Aside from
the insulating elements described above, they do add organic matter,
encourage worms and have some fertiliser benefits (in approx + ratios to
animal poops). Mulch one of your gardens over autumn with 1-2 inchs (or more
if you want) and observe the changes in soil characteristics through winter
and in to early spring.

I also use them on the lawn as a fertiliser. They have to be broken up &
spread thinly mind. Some people reckon they are acidic but from what I have
read most of the acidity will have been extracted through the coffee making
process & mild amounts of coffee grounds will have minimal effect on decent
soil. If you have acidic soil you will likely lime or use wood ask anyway so
the grounds will be little effect.

And best of the best, they are free as a fart & readily available from any
local cafe.

rob

Old 08-08-2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
Ken Lichtsinn

Waiting for similar answer. I've got a cylindrical shaped metal trash can
with a plastic liner. I've been dumping coffee grounds with filter in that
can since February. I drink about a pot a morning.
Dave

Old 08-08-2007, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

"Ken Lichtsinn" wrote in message

Has anybody had experience with using coffee grounds as mulch? Has
anybody used them for adding organic matter?

--
Ken Lichtsinn

Waiting for similar answer. I've got a cylindrical shaped metal trash can
with a plastic liner. I've been dumping coffee grounds with filter in that
can since February. I drink about a pot a morning.
Dave

Go for it. Everybody, who is anybody uses it.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dave wrote:
"Ken Lichtsinn" wrote in message
Has anybody had experience with using coffee grounds as mulch? Has
anybody used them for adding organic matter?

--
Ken Lichtsinn

Waiting for similar answer. I've got a cylindrical shaped metal trash can
with a plastic liner. I've been dumping coffee grounds with filter in that
can since February. I drink about a pot a morning.
Dave

Problem is, if you do vermiculture, and you don't throw the grounds out
one day, they will come into the house and take the grounds on their
own. After that, they lie on top of the bin and spell out Starbucks
with their bodies. Fair warning.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem aem is offline

On Aug 7, 6:07 pm, Ken Lichtsinn Ken.Lichtsinn.
wrote:
Has anybody had experience with using coffee grounds as mulch? Has
anybody used them for adding organic matter?

--
Ken Lichtsinn

coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 04:03 PM
Coffee grounds to keep out cats? Polar Edible Gardening 9 29-04-2003 11:56 AM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 05:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 04:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 08:15 AM