Old 08-08-2007, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default The End of Cheap Food

writes:
Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Ya know guys - this is sad. I don't much care for Bush and his
administration, but that has not changed my basic political beliefs which
are strongly conservative. You can hate Bush and not change parties.

Thank you, Cheryl. I'm with you 100%. The bushwackers' hatred isn't
doing anyone any good at all. I don't like what he's done, either.
That means time for a change, and it will change, on 1/20/2008.

What I really hate is the pigeonholing that goes on now with political
leanings. Because I consider myself a conservative it means in some
(conservative, mainly but also 'liberal') circles that I'm wrong to be
an environmentalist, wrong to care about our food......these aren't
liberal or conservative issues, they're human issues that we need to
do something about.

And while I'm completely off topic, here's a very moving link that
shows a glimmer of hope - only if these people aren't hunted down and
beheaded by the terrorists themselves.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s6P9qP_Rpxw
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Thank you, Ann, for sharing the video. I don't usually go to the links
but did this time. It is certainly a reminder that we people all over the
world are much the same and are all victims of our "leaders" and the words
spread by those same leaders (and our media!). We only need to look
within our own country to see the conflict in what we say and what we do.
It's important that we not let our own unpleasant truths be forgotten.
What some dictators have done is not that different from what was done in
"settling and civilizing" our own country. It's always important to
remember the history books are written by the winners and nothing written
in those books ever justifies people hurting people.

While I detest our current administration on the federal level, I have
learned that our current president is not the worst we have ever had. He
is simply "more effective" to hurting our position worldwide than some
past presidents because of a technical communication age. I often wonder
where the terrorist cause would be if we had not invaded Iraq without U.N.
sanction with all of the sympathy and support from the entire world after
9-11. I suspect it would not be as advanced as it is; my fear is that we
have created more support for it than we have eliminated - how can anyone
truly know.

For a chilling reality of presidents, read the lesser known facts about
Andrew Jackson. His Trail of Tears march was only one of a truly horrible
line of actions by him, yet he is "honored" on our $20 bill. I wonder how
many Americans would like seeing his face so often if they realized his
true character. I knew some of what he had done, but until recently, I
didn't realize what a truly evil person he was. He makes this president
look like a saint.

It's a downright shame that truly good people can't make it in politics at
high levels. I'm talking truly good as in all the way through deep into
their heart as well as their actions.

My tag line on my signature has been: "I can't change the world but I can
make my little corner better." That is what most of us try to do, and it
matters.

Glenna

Old 08-08-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article fc.003d0941022e3f873b9aca0026505016.22e3fc4@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:
[...]

Well said.