Old 22-09-2007, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Winter vegetables n UK

Hello fellow gardeners,
Having had a disasterous frst season trying to grow my own vegies, I
thought I would try some winter varieties.
I know where I went wrong with my spring/summer crops, ie:
pests, parasites
soil quality
feeding
watering/overwatering.

I have read online that you can plant sprouts, cabbage, peas and broad
beans, but different sites contradict eachother as to when they can be
sown.

Any help or tips(both would be very nice) please for a frustrated
newbie gardener?

Thanks in advance
Part_No
Old 22-09-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I thought I would try some winter varieties.
I have read online that you can plant sprouts

Sprouts as in mung beans, alfalfa, etc indoors? Yeah, that's not too
hard. Google comes up with
http://www.islandnet.com/~see/living.../sprouting.htm

cabbage

This one has a number of insect pests, at least in many places. For a
small scale garden just picking off the insects by hand is often
practical. But yes, does well in the fall.

peas

Here in Washington, DC, USA (USDA zone 7), I've read this does better
in the spring (the plants being more cold tolerant than the pods).
But the UK winters are probably milder, so if you have read it works
there as a fall/winter crop, sure.

broad beans

Probably will overwinter for a spring harvest. Although I'm not sure
exactly how mild the winter has to be for this to work.

You could also consider:

lettuce
spinach
kale

and probably some other cold weather crops I'm not thinking of just
now.

Growing Fall / Winter Vegetables in Southern California [email protected] Edible Gardening 7 21-10-2010 05:20 PM
Winter vegetables Drake United Kingdom 7 25-09-2007 02:14 PM
Winter vegetables in UK Part_No United Kingdom 3 22-09-2007 08:43 PM
Does no one know? - Sun and Winter Vegetables Steve Harris United Kingdom 6 19-11-2003 12:22 AM
Sun and Winter Vegetables Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 14-11-2003 02:04 AM