Old 22-09-2007, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter vegetables in UK

Hello fellow gardeners,
Having had a disasterous frst season trying to grow my own vegies, I
thought I would try some winter varieties.
I know where I went wrong with my spring/summer crops, ie:
pests, parasites
soil quality
feeding
watering/overwatering.

I have read online that you can plant sprouts, cabbage, peas and broad
beans, but different sites contradict eachother as to when they can be
sown.

Any help or tips(both would be very nice) please for a frustrated
newbie gardener?

Thanks in advance
Part_No

Old 22-09-2007, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Part_No" wrote in message

Hello fellow gardeners,
Having had a disasterous frst season trying to grow my own vegies, I
thought I would try some winter varieties.
I know where I went wrong with my spring/summer crops, ie:
pests, parasites
soil quality
feeding
watering/overwatering.

I have read online that you can plant sprouts, cabbage, peas and broad
beans, but different sites contradict eachother as to when they can be
sown.

Any help or tips(both would be very nice) please for a frustrated
newbie gardener?

LOL! You'll just get even more conflicting advice :-)

Mary

Old 22-09-2007, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:46f569a9$0$766
:

LOL! You'll just get even more conflicting advice :-)

Mary

Thankyou for that....lol

Part_No

Old 22-09-2007, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

WSith the weather we having at present its worth putting some potatoes into
tubs for new spuds christmas day, should just be in time.

Take a look here for some other ideas
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/summersowing2.html

its worth putting in some fairly hardy leafy greens now as they can be
picked leaf by leaf over winter

Might be worth trying Kohl Rabi, use when small for soups, stews, salads put
plenty in tho.

worth some salad such as radish, cress, mustard, all for garnish. Try the
new varietys of baby carrots, these grow to the size in TV dinners, you know
Miniscule? again put plenty in.
Beetroot may just be in time as Autumn weather has been milder of late, and
first sign of frost is usually around 3rd or 4th week in November here in
the midlands.
If you have greenhouse, or could cover your plants with polythene that will
give you the edge on weather.

regards
Cineman

"Part_No" wrote in message

Hello fellow gardeners,
Having had a disasterous frst season trying to grow my own vegies, I
thought I would try some winter varieties.
I know where I went wrong with my spring/summer crops, ie:
pests, parasites
soil quality
feeding
watering/overwatering.

I have read online that you can plant sprouts, cabbage, peas and broad
beans, but different sites contradict eachother as to when they can be
sown.

Any help or tips(both would be very nice) please for a frustrated
newbie gardener?

Thanks in advance
Part_No

Growing Fall / Winter Vegetables in Southern California [email protected] Edible Gardening 7 21-10-2010 05:20 PM
Winter vegetables Drake United Kingdom 7 25-09-2007 02:14 PM
Winter vegetables n UK Part_No Edible Gardening 1 22-09-2007 08:09 PM
Does no one know? - Sun and Winter Vegetables Steve Harris United Kingdom 6 19-11-2003 12:22 AM
Sun and Winter Vegetables Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 14-11-2003 02:04 AM