Old 30-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Registered User

Default My Blueberry Bushes

My Blueberrie Bushes are now a year old.

Very healthy plants I got from JParkers last year but so far they have not given me any fruit.

How long do they take to produce fruits.

I want them to be organic plants .
Old 30-09-2007, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

My Blueberrie Bushes are now a year old.
Very healthy plants I got from JParkers last year

With new growth? If you have this, you are over the first big set of
hurdles (related to soil pH and maybe mycorhiza).

so far they have not given me any fruit.

I don't know if I'd expect flowers the first spring (I guess ours,
which are small plants, had a few, but we picked them off to let the
plant spend its energy on getting established). But next spring I
would think so.

Do they get full sun? Although in the wild blueberries are forest
understory plants, full sun is recommended in the garden.

I want them to be organic plants .

Some organic ways of lowering the soil pH or keeping it down are pine
bark, pine needles, or oak leaves.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kingdon View Post
My Blueberrie Bushes are now a year old.
Very healthy plants I got from JParkers last year

With new growth? If you have this, you are over the first big set of
hurdles (related to soil pH and maybe mycorhiza).Thankyou they really are healthy looking plants.

so far they have not given me any fruit.

I don't know if I'd expect flowers the first spring (I guess ours,
which are small plants, had a few, but we picked them off to let the
plant spend its energy on getting established). But next spring I
would think so.

Do they get full sun?Yes they do get full sun Jim. Although in the wild blueberries are forest
understory plants, full sun is recommended in the garden.

I want them to be organic plants .

Some organic ways of lowering the soil pH or keeping it down are pine
bark, pine needles, or oak leaves.
Should I still feed through the winter Jim or just water.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

-
so far they have not given me any fruit.-

I don't know if I'd expect flowers the first spring (I guess ours,
which are small plants, had a few, but we picked them off to let the
plant spend its energy on getting established). But next spring I
would think so.

Do they get full sun?Yes they do get full sun Jim. Although in the
wild blueberries are forest
understory plants, full sun is recommended in the garden. -
I want them to be organic plants .-

Some organic ways of lowering the soil pH or keeping it down are pine
bark, pine needles, or oak leaves.

Should I still feed through the winter Jim or just water.

I don't do anything in the winter, once the bushes are established they
make it through the winter fine. For the first several years that I had
blueberries bushes I always had a couple of casualties, in the spring I'd
replace the dead ones. Eventually they were all well enough established
that they no longer died in the winter. My oldest bushes are now
producing a lot of berries, it took about five years before they became
really productive.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Where are you located? Arkansas needs super phosphate added to the soil in
some cases, to make things blossom (0 - 56 - 0 on the bag). Sometimes it is
the pH of the soil that makes them grow or fail (like here in Western
Kansas). I would have a soil test done and see if everything is where is
should be, and if not, correct it. Blueberries need a pH of 4 to 5.5 for
best results..

Dwayne

--
Scotkat

Phish's blueberry bushes Beecrofter Gardening 2 23-08-2003 01:22 PM
Protecting blueberry bushes from birds B. Joshua Rosen Edible Gardening 12 09-07-2003 07:52 PM
Blueberry bushes Annaid Gardening 3 12-05-2003 07:20 PM
Wanted: Blueberry bushes McFadden57 Gardening 1 30-03-2003 01:32 PM
Blueberry bushes for Upstate NY? Beecrofter Gardening 0 22-02-2003 05:39 AM