Old 01-10-2007, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default drying gourds

Does anyone have some good suggestions for drying gourds. I have read
about placing them on screens but I have so many. Do I wait until a
certain time to take them from the garden? I would appreciate any
help. Thank you in advance. Jo

Old 03-10-2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Oct 1, 11:05 am, wrote:
Does anyone have some good suggestions for drying gourds. I have read
about placing them on screens but I have so many. Do I wait until a
certain time to take them from the garden? I would appreciate any
help. Thank you in advance. Jo

Wait until after the killing frost. Let the weeds and other
vegetation die back so you can see how many you grew.
Leave them in the field, or harvest if the squirrels take a
liking to them -- this proves the little *******s can't taste
bitter, no matter how intense.

Cut the umbilical cords a few inches out. This helps them
dry faster for some mysterious reason. Maybe the gourds
scab over if you cut the stems flush.

Don't worry if they get moldy. They're supposed to. It adds
character after you wash off the gourds prior to making them
into something. You'll see mold spots on gourd resonators
on Indian sitars. Stain or (even better) a tinted finish brings
out the pattern nicely. Try equal parts varnish, linseed oil, and
paint thinner, with a dash of artist's oil paint for color, rubbed in
and buffed out, several coats until you build a nice sheen.

Gourds and more gourds Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 26-09-2007 01:31 AM
Latge Gourds artiegee United Kingdom 1 14-03-2004 04:23 PM
Drying gourds David D. Gardening 2 23-10-2003 11:22 PM
Peppers and gourds David A. King United Kingdom 0 15-07-2003 10:20 PM
birdhouse gourds michele Gardening 7 08-04-2003 04:20 PM