Old 13-10-2007, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Strawberry glut

"Omelet" wrote in message

I start out with Vodka or Everclear to preserve the fruit, then strain
that off and add brandy.

Why don't you just start out with the brandy? It will preserve the fruit
just as well as Vodka.

Old 14-10-2007, 11:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message

I start out with Vodka or Everclear to preserve the fruit, then strain
that off and add brandy.

Why don't you just start out with the brandy? It will preserve the fruit
just as well as Vodka.

Faster results.
Higher Octane.

I only soak it in the stronger stuff for one day.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 15-10-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

You could try making fruit leather. You cook the fruit down with
sugar, like making jam, then spread in a thin layer in a glass pan,
and lay it out in the sun for a few days. Resulting product is thin
and intensely flavored.

Look up a real recipe - this is off the top of my head. We made this
out of apricots and plums when I was a kid since that's what our gluts
were.

Susan B.

Old 16-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Registered User

Delicious eaten straight from the freezer - great snack if you are on a slimming diet! - if possible freeze them on a tray first so that the strawberries are not touching and then bag them. They will go soggy once thawed but are great in desserts such as jelly or puree them.
Old 28-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Registered User

They can be washed well, frozen in a plastic bag or container. My grandmother in the past that they can in a sugar syrup. In both cases, they lose their consistency and can lose its colour. However, the winter comes, strawberry flavour is unmatched.
Waterfall Pumps

Tomato glut? Bob Hobden United Kingdom 5 08-08-2006 06:59 AM
glut of hazelnuts Argo Edible Gardening 7 14-01-2006 02:11 AM
Glut.Max. Pink United Kingdom 1 05-08-2004 12:22 PM
Glut.Max. Pink United Kingdom 0 04-08-2004 11:07 PM
Pending Glut of Tomatoes... JennyC United Kingdom 19 14-08-2003 12:42 AM