Old 09-10-2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default For: [email protected] (was For The Future of Agriculture etc)

n writes:

I do know what you mean even though I have had no such sad circumstances
as
you have had to live through. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy
although
I know that nothing I could ever say could ease your pain.

Thank you very much. No, the pain will never leave; the void left by a
child's death is always there and quite different than any other. We
adjust and learn to live around it so it becomes a part of our lives
rather than it controlling our lives. On our on-line support group, I
said it does not become easier, it becomes less difficult. Easier implies
it will become easy which is not true and also implies we have more
control than we do.

I too have found my garden a solace as I recovered from cancer therapy.
was burned to a crisp from radiation therapy and as weak as a kitten from
the operation, the lack of appetite and chemotherapy but would go out and
drag rocks around rebuilding, manuring, digging and planting what I
called
my 'hard, hungry bed'. If I couldn't do something I would occasionally
ask
my husband to move a single stone but I tried to do as much of it on my
own
as a life affirming experience. I now look at this bed and feel good
just
by looking at it. It's not the prettiest or the best flower bed I have
but
it is the one of which I am most fond. It doesn't worry me one iota that
no-one but my husband can understand why this bed speaks to me.

You have been through your own trials, quite definitely. You absolutely
have my sympathy for what you have been through. I'm very happy for you
that you are here to look at that wonderful flower bed.

My sister died in 1972 of cancer the day before her 21st birthday leaving
behind two babies in diapers so I have a small amount of understanding
what you are saying. I wish so much she could also be speaking your
words. Because of what my garden has done for me, I so understand at
least part of your fondness for this special part of your yard and of your
world.

As I worked, I used to think of a haiku that I read many years ago. I've
forgotten how to put it into the form of a haiku but the words we
"A man truly understands the meaning of life when he plants a shade tree
under which he knows he will not sit".

That rather re-enforces what I told my two oldest sons and some dear
friends about this house. I moved here two-plus years after my youngest
son's death. His brothers were very worried about Mom in addition to
their own grief from losing their baby brother (who was taller than either
of them!). When I planted grapes, kiwi and paw-paw trees, I told them I
must be planning to be around a long time since they all take at least 2-5
years to bear! One wouldn't think of planting a grape vine as being a
plan for a future, but it really is, like the shade tree.

Blessings to you.

Glenna

Glenna
[off soapbox for own peace of mind]

And that comment also resonates with me. At times switching off is all
we
can do if we are to try to stay in any way sane.

So very, very true.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
n writes:

I do know what you mean even though I have had no such sad circumstances
as
you have had to live through. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy
although
I know that nothing I could ever say could ease your pain.

Thank you very much. No, the pain will never leave; the void left by a
child's death is always there and quite different than any other. We
adjust and learn to live around it so it becomes a part of our lives
rather than it controlling our lives. On our on-line support group, I
said it does not become easier, it becomes less difficult. Easier implies
it will become easy which is not true and also implies we have more
control than we do.

I know exactly what you are saying.

My sister lost a son almost 13 years ago and I just feel so disturbed that
there is simply nothing I can do to help this much loved sister in any way.
I know that she still suffers deeply, desperately and despairingly but not a
word of her grief ever crosses her lips or is ever shown except in the
desperate way she hugs me when she sees me.

As my only sibling and being 5 and a half years younger than her, she still
maintains the strong older sister role and won't open up and talk about it
to me or to anyone. We have never been an emotional or particularly
demonsrative family but she just about breaks my ribs with her hugs. This
tells me that she is still as raw as the day that it happened and only once
have I ever been able to even mention her grieving to her. I have not been
game enough to do so since but she needs some help that I cannot give until
she is ready and I don't think that she ever will be ready. It is also
typical of our family that she won't seek any help.

Time doesn't heal at all unfortunately, it just makes the absence of the
lost one even more evident as one things that they aren't here for this or
that fmaily happening.

[...]

Thank you but I don't think the big 'C' is nearly as bad as losing a child.
It is a process that has to be got through one way or the other. I've
always viewed my own death as inevitable and I will die when my time is due.
I just hope it's when I'm 80 + as I have too much to do before I die.

My sister died in 1972 of cancer the day before her 21st birthday leaving
behind two babies in diapers so I have a small amount of understanding
what you are saying. I wish so much she could also be speaking your
words. Because of what my garden has done for me, I so understand at
least part of your fondness for this special part of your yard and of your
world.

I think it's the constant rebirth we see in the garden. Each year there is
a sense of renewal. Even if we aren't going to be here to see it, it will
go on.

As I worked, I used to think of a haiku that I read many years ago. I've
forgotten how to put it into the form of a haiku but the words we
"A man truly understands the meaning of life when he plants a shade tree
under which he knows he will not sit".

That rather re-enforces what I told my two oldest sons and some dear
friends about this house. I moved here two-plus years after my youngest
son's death. His brothers were very worried about Mom in addition to
their own grief from losing their baby brother (who was taller than either
of them!). When I planted grapes, kiwi and paw-paw trees, I told them I
must be planning to be around a long time since they all take at least 2-5
years to bear! One wouldn't think of planting a grape vine as being a
plan for a future, but it really is, like the shade tree.

Indeed it is.

Blessings to you.

And to you and yours.

Fran