Old 27-10-2007, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Kale going to seed

My curly kale has done great service for over two years, this is its third
spring. Now it is going to seed which it hasn't done before. Most
brassicas go to seed in their first year. Why is kale different? Why now?

David

Old 29-10-2007, 07:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
My curly kale has done great service for over two years, this is its third
spring. Now it is going to seed which it hasn't done before. Most
brassicas go to seed in their first year. Why is kale different? Why
now?

My seed savers books say that curly case is biennial. Perhaps yours is
confused?

Old 30-10-2007, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
My curly kale has done great service for over two years, this is its third
spring. Now it is going to seed which it hasn't done before. Most
brassicas go to seed in their first year. Why is kale different? Why
now?

My seed savers books say that curly case is biennial. Perhaps yours is
confused?

Some references speak of a biennial kale and a perennial one. The seed packet
I have doesn't say which. It looks like it was the biennial one and time is
up. Even so I am quite pleased with it. It has provided for us winter and
summer with very litle attention.

David

Old 30-10-2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In message , David Hare-Scott
writes

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
My curly kale has done great service for over two years, this is its third
spring. Now it is going to seed which it hasn't done before. Most
brassicas go to seed in their first year. Why is kale different? Why
now?

My seed savers books say that curly case is biennial. Perhaps yours is
confused?

Some references speak of a biennial kale and a perennial one. The seed packet
I have doesn't say which. It looks like it was the biennial one and time is
up. Even so I am quite pleased with it. It has provided for us winter and
summer with very litle attention.

David

I'm sure some kales are "really" perennial, though (except for sea kale)
usually grown as biennials. Cavolo nero, for example - I dug up a plant
yesterday which was sown in 2006, flowered this spring, was still
growing vigorously this autumn and no doubt would have flowered again
next year if left to its own devices. So maybe your kale still has a
future? On the other hand, the conventional wisdom might be that
growing brassicas in the same place for several years risks encouraging
clubroot and/or other problems.
--
Max Wright
Old 31-10-2007, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

My curly kale has done great service for over two years, this is its
third
spring. Now it is going to seed which it hasn't done before. Most
brassicas go to seed in their first year. Why is kale different? Why
now?

My seed savers books say that curly case is biennial. Perhaps yours is
confused?

Some references speak of a biennial kale and a perennial one. The seed
packet
I have doesn't say which.

Does the packet give you a botanical name?

Curly kale is supposed to be a biennial and if that what it was called on
the packet then it should be a biennial. What seed company was it?

It looks like it was the biennial one and time is
up. Even so I am quite pleased with it. It has provided for us winter
and
summer with very litle attention.

As do all the best peasant foods :-))