Old 03-03-2008, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Raised Bed Vegetable Planting

In article ,
"JC" wrote:

Some people use tires for raised beds.
Contrary to popular belief, they are inert and do not poison the soil.

And you can get them for free.

They paint well if you are worried about looks. ;-)

I'n going to try some of this.

www.earthbox.com

Ok, but tires are free. g

One of these years, I'd like to experiment with hydroponics.
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain
Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"JC" wrote in message
m...

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

On Feb 26, 12:22?am, Richard Price Richard.Price.
wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

I have now ordered some untreated wood and will construct another
planter. Does anyone know what I can treat the wood with, that will
not
harm my veg?

--
Richard Price

Richard,
Your best bet is to use redwood. It naturally resists rot and
insects and will not harm your vegetables. It is pricy, though.

If you can find old growth heartwood from a redwood tree, I would agree
with loco BUT that is hard to find here in California, so your chance in
the UK, I presume, would be much lower. The next time I repair my raised
bed, I think I'll look into plasticized decking wood but check it out,
it may leach undesired chemicals as well. Otherwise, the 2" x 12"s that
I used for my box seem to be good for at least 10 years. Keep your
construction simple in order to make any replacements simple.

Bon appétit.

Some people use tires for raised beds.
Contrary to popular belief, they are inert and do not poison the soil.

And you can get them for free.

They paint well if you are worried about looks. ;-)
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain

I'n going to try some of this.

www.earthbox.com

try some of these instead
http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

rob

Old 04-03-2008, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JC JC is offline

"George.com" wrote in message

"JC" wrote in message
m...

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Hey, thanks for that. My idea was to try to figure out how to make these
things instead of paying 50 bucks apiece for them.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 4, 5:37�am, "JC" wrote:
"George.com" wrote in message

"JC" wrote in message
om...

"Omelet" wrote in message
news In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Bon app�tit.

Some people use tires for raised beds.
Contrary to popular belief, they are inert and do not poison the soil.

And you can get them for free.

They paint well if you are worried about looks. ;-)
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
� � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � -- Mark Twain

I'n going to try some of this.

www.earthbox.com

try some of these instead
http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

rob

Hey, thanks for that. My idea was to try to figure out how to make these
things instead of paying 50 bucks apiece for them.- Hide quoted text -

If you live in a fairly densely populated area there may be a likely
building being demolished. Often they will let you scavenge some
lumber. I got ten eight-foot 2x12s just for the labor of hauling them
away and then extracting the numerous nails in them. They are ugly,
but they will weather out nicely and last for several years, while I
keep my eyes open for other buildings.

Good luck in the hunt!
Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Registered User

Smile

JC;777225]"George.com" wrote in message

"JC"
wrote in message
m...

"Omelet"
wrote in message
news
In article
,
Billy
wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
[...]

i dont know if this site might be of some help to you or anyone else
that might want to try and build their own earth box. good luck.
cyaaaaaa, sockiescat.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...own-Earth-Box/

Old 05-03-2008, 07:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"JC" wrote in message
. ..

"George.com" wrote in message

"JC" wrote in message
m...

"Omelet" wrote in message
news In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
[...]

once you have figured out the tools you need, and the ones you only have, &
have nutted out how to put the things together they are actually very easy
to make up. Getting the first done is the big bit. I scored some old dumper
2x10 scaffold planks today from a scaffold outfit. A phoned around a few &
found one who had refuse. They were happy to pass it on. Thats the raised
garden in the polytunnel sorted.

rob

Old 08-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Registered User

Just a thought...

I recently build 3 huge raised borders, each at 1.3x15 metres. I constructed the side out of any wood I could find, avoiding wood that had been treated. I mainly used palettes and old floorboards for the sides and insulated them from the soil using rolls dampcoarse plastic. Costs about £6 per roll of about 50 foot - the stuff is designed to keep out moisture...not totally green, but I will find many uses for it, should I change the design of my allotment in the future. Tough stuff!

All the best, James