Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2008, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Grapes- Help!

Ok need a little info here, kinda new at this grape thing, so pkease
bear with me.

I decided to plant grapes this year here in N Texas, weather had
turned nice, went to my local store purchased a couple plants, 1 12"
ta;; the other about 18" tall, dug into the black clay
mixed it up with various soils and pearlite so the roots can pentrate.
Temp out side highs around
63, lows around 45. Sounds pretty good so far huh, hang in there heres
the kicker
Mothernature decided for some unknown reason to dump 7" of the white
powderey stuff
all over this area this week (this 2 days after I planted the grapes)
then hey why not, dumped another 8" of snow 2 days later. During the
1st snow I put 5 gal buckets over them, took them off between snows
and the top 2 " of leaves look very sick, before I could figure out
what to do the 2nd blizzard hit, I put the buckets back on, will take
them off today after work, lows tonight should be back in the 30's and
highs around 60.
Now Texas even N Texas doesn't get much snow to begin with, especially
8" twice in 3 days
March is not normal for anywhere in Texas to get snow, My grapes (top
leaves) really look sick
what to do?
Have I killed the plants, will they come back? Do I trim what looks
like frost-bite on them?
Please help out here if you can? Either directly or on the board.

Thanks in advance

wawwiz