Old 08-03-2008, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Grapes- Help!

Ok need a little info here, kinda new at this grape thing, so pkease
bear with me.

I decided to plant grapes this year here in N Texas, weather had
turned nice, went to my local store purchased a couple plants, 1 12"
ta;; the other about 18" tall, dug into the black clay
mixed it up with various soils and pearlite so the roots can pentrate.
Temp out side highs around
63, lows around 45. Sounds pretty good so far huh, hang in there heres
the kicker
Mothernature decided for some unknown reason to dump 7" of the white
powderey stuff
all over this area this week (this 2 days after I planted the grapes)
then hey why not, dumped another 8" of snow 2 days later. During the
1st snow I put 5 gal buckets over them, took them off between snows
and the top 2 " of leaves look very sick, before I could figure out
what to do the 2nd blizzard hit, I put the buckets back on, will take
them off today after work, lows tonight should be back in the 30's and
highs around 60.
Now Texas even N Texas doesn't get much snow to begin with, especially
8" twice in 3 days
March is not normal for anywhere in Texas to get snow, My grapes (top
leaves) really look sick
what to do?
Have I killed the plants, will they come back? Do I trim what looks
like frost-bite on them?
Please help out here if you can? Either directly or on the board.

Thanks in advance

wawwiz
Old 08-03-2008, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi All,

Leave them alone as you have nothing to loose. Established vines should be
allright. It depends on how much root they have. keep as much snow off them
as posible. Good luck with them. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. watkin.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
wawwiz wrote:

[...]

How cold did it get and for how long? European grapes and, I presume,
their American hybrids have tertiary buds. Which means that if you kill
off the first bud break, you got two more chances at it. If you just
killed off the leaves, I suspect that the grapes will bounce back. If it
looks like snow again (or temps less than 28 F), bury the vines under
straw and/or dirt to protect them. They do this in the Finger Lake's
region of New York. The other short term protection is to put a
sprinkler near the vines and let it run until the air temp is above 30 F
(When water drops to 30 F, it freezes, and releases heat (the heat of
crystalization). The resulting ice is 32 F. As long as you are making
ice, the vine won't freeze.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 09-03-2008, 10:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 8, 7:04*pm, Puckdropper wrote:
wawwiz wrote in news:e805c542-ef36-4a0d-8395-
:

*snip*

1st snow I put 5 gal buckets over them, took them off between snows
and the top 2 " of leaves look very sick, before I could figure out
what to do the 2nd blizzard hit, I put the buckets back on, will take
them off today after work, lows tonight should be back in the 30's and
highs around 60.

*snip*

Have I killed the plants, will they come back? Do I trim what looks
like frost-bite on them?
Please help out here if you can? Either directly or on the board.

Thanks in advance

wawwiz

I'd just let them be for a few days and see what happens. *It's possible
they didn't like being in the buckets.

Puckdropper
marching band.

Update:

Snows pretty well gone now, took buckets off the plants. and all the
leaves look wilted and ready to
fall off the stock, guess I will cover things with some hay and cross
my fingers, as for what kind of grapes they are both seedless
variiety, purple and red (hate green grapes) I will let everyone know
if they make it, Probably get a couple more
plants and add to the row, other than cold weather, what else do I
need to know about these plants any hekp would be appreciated.

wawwiz

Old 09-03-2008, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
wawwiz wrote:

[...]

If your lows are in the 30's leave the buckets off and don't bury the
vines.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 9, 10:01�am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

�wawwiz wrote:
[...]

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Haguehttp://angryarab.blogspot.com/http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/- Hide quoted text -

So,,, when can we all come by for the wine tasting?
Old 10-03-2008, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

On Mar 9, 10:01?am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

?wawwiz wrote:
[...]

There used to be a lot of free tasting in Sonoma County but it has
gotten horribly commercial. Come any time but to be on the safe side,
bring a lot of cash;-) The Russian River area was/is (?) the last
bastion of free tastings. That's were I'd begin.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

hi All,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote in message
On Mar 9, 10:01?am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

?wawwiz wrote:
[...]

A bit far to come from the U. K.

Richard M. watkin.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"R M. Watkin" wrote:

hi All,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote in message

[...]