Old 20-03-2008, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default The death of a greenhouse tomato.

I started Super Beefsteaks, Rutgers, and Brandywine tomato plants from
seeds in peat pots back in early February. Two weeks ago I
transplanted them to large pots in our greenhouse in coastal
California. They were doing well...then three days of heavy frost
hit! Temperatures in the greenhouse dipped below freezing, although
there was obviously no frost inside. Now they are brown and wilted.
Was I mistaken in thinking that it was the frost and not the
temperature that kills tomato plants? Are they likely terminal or
will they revive? TIA for the help.
Old 20-03-2008, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

I started Super Beefsteaks, Rutgers, and Brandywine tomato plants from
seeds in peat pots back in early February. Two weeks ago I
transplanted them to large pots in our greenhouse in coastal
California. They were doing well...then three days of heavy frost
hit! Temperatures in the greenhouse dipped below freezing, although
there was obviously no frost inside. Now they are brown and wilted.
Was I mistaken in thinking that it was the frost and not the
temperature that kills tomato plants? Are they likely terminal or
will they revive? TIA for the help.

Freezing is 30F. Did it get below 30F in you greenhouse?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 20-03-2008, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 19, 10:43�pm, Billy wrote:

Freezing is 30F. Did it get below 30F in you greenhouse?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Haguehttp://angryarab.blogspot.com/http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/

Freezing is 32F, but it did get down to 30 in the greenhouse. I shall
start new seeds today and welcome the onset of spring.

Old 20-03-2008, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

On Mar 19, 10:43?pm, Billy wrote:

Freezing is 30F. Did it get below 30F in you greenhouse?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the
Haguehttp://angryarab.blogspot.com/http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/

Freezing is 32F, but it did get down to 30 in the greenhouse. I shall
start new seeds today and welcome the onset of spring.

Take notes. Water drops to 30F before it freezes (crystalizes). Upon
crystalizing, it releases the "heat of crystallization".
http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/o...rystallization
This heat warms the ice to 32F (any warmer and it would melt).
This is why orchards and vineyards use sprinkler system to protect their
crops. As long as you are making ice, the temperature will stay at 32F.

Even placing a 100 watt light on the floor of the green house and having
a timer turn it on between 2 AM and 6 AM may have saved them. One of
these years, we won't have to say, wait till next year;-)

Old 20-03-2008, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 20, 12:48�pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

�"www.locoworks.com" wrote:
On Mar 19, 10:43?pm, Billy wrote:

[...]

Say, Billy,
You might want to take some notes yourself:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a891215.html

Old 21-03-2008, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

On Mar 20, 12:48?pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

crystallization".http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/o...f+crystallizat
ion
This heat warms the ice ?to 32F (any warmer and it would melt).
This is why orchards and vineyards use sprinkler system to protect their
crops. As long as you are making ice, the temperature will stay at 32F.

Even placing a 100 watt light on the floor of the green house and having
a timer turn it on between 2 AM and 6 AM may have saved them. One of
these years, we won't have to say, wait till next year;-)
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the
Haguehttp://angryarab.blogspot.com/http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/

Say, Billy,
You might want to take some notes yourself:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a891215.html

32 F is so ingrained in popular culture. I may hae to go to my anciet
textbook. I'll keep looking for for a clean explantion.

In the mean time, as a place marker I'll leave you
www.wvu.edu/~exten/infores/pubs/ageng/sw4.pdf .

Forth paragraph, third sentence

Ice may not form when the frost is very light; temperatures
will usually be 1F - 2F below freezing before ice starts to form.

Old 21-03-2008, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:56:18 -0700 (PDT), "www.locoworks.com"
wrote:

Say, Billy,
You might want to take some notes yourself:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a891215.html

"And awaaaay we go"

Charlie, doing his best Jackie imitation

Oh, tais toi, and help me find my "P" chem book;-)

Old 20-03-2008, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

I started Super Beefsteaks, Rutgers, and Brandywine tomato plants from
seeds in peat pots back in early February. Two weeks ago I
transplanted them to large pots in our greenhouse in coastal
California. They were doing well...then three days of heavy frost
hit! Temperatures in the greenhouse dipped below freezing, although
there was obviously no frost inside. Now they are brown and wilted.
Was I mistaken in thinking that it was the frost and not the
temperature that kills tomato plants? Are they likely terminal or
will they revive? TIA for the help.

Temperatures below freezing will kill any tomatoe plant I know of. The
frost
was probably coincidental to this problem, adding to it. If your plants are
still
showing some green, they may recover, but I doubt it. Next time, take the
plants inside, or rig up some kind of heater.

Sorry for the loss,

Sherwin

Old 20-03-2008, 08:32 PM
mor mor is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwindu View Post
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

[...]

greenhouse tomatoes are ideal especially between December and April.