Old 26-03-2008, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Damping off

http://www.gardenersnet.com/atoz/dampingoff.htm

Controlling the disease is a matter of removing the environment that
Damping Off disease thrives in. Here are the basic do's and dont's:

** Buy sterilized seed starting soil.

** Use clean, sterilized containers.

** Provide plenty of air circulation.

Tip: Use a small fan and direct a gentle breeze across the room. The
important word here is "gentle"

** Thin seedlings to increase air circulation.

** Provide as much sunlight as possible.

** Let the surface of the soil dry out between watering. Watering from
the bottom is preferred.

** Stir the top of the soil around the seedlings.

** Put plants in a sunny location.

Don't:

** Don't leave your seedling trays in the basement. Basements are
perfect breeding grounds.

** Don't overwater plants.

** Do not use fertilizer on your new seedlings.

** Don't use tray covers. While it is a popular practice to use them,
they increase the humidity level and encourage disease growth.

Did you know? Nitrogen in your fertilizer can promote rapid growth of
Damping Off Disease.
---------

Fish emulsioned seedlings two days ago, based on some knuckle-head's
advice. I now have mold everywhere.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 27-03-2008, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Fish emulsioned seedlings two days ago, based on some knuckle-head's
advice. I now have mold everywhere.

Try a chamomile tea spray, properly cooled off, of course.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.henriettesherbal.com
Old 27-03-2008, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:16:14 +0200, Henriette Kress
wrote:

Billy wrote:

Fish emulsioned seedlings two days ago, based on some knuckle-head's
advice. I now have mold everywhere.

Try a chamomile tea spray, properly cooled off, of course.

Henriette

Thank you Henriette! I didn't know this, and after a quick
verification I also found a recommendation to crush a couple cloves of
garlic in the chamomile tea. That sounds like a good idea to me.

Care
Charlie

While both Henriette's (who I worship from afar) and Charlie's (not so
much) suggestions appeal to me, what's wrong with good ol' copper
sulfate?

Old 27-03-2008, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:00:43 -0700, Billy wrote:

While both Henriette's (who I worship from afar) and Charlie's (not so
much) suggestions appeal to me, what's wrong with good ol' copper
sulfate?

"sniff, sniff"....it was the pink garden tutu, wasn't it?

I was blind for 36 hours, and the valium helps some.

Matricaria chamomilla and Allium sativum just sound so
less.......*chemical*.... than copper sulfate.

I said Matricaria chamomilla and Allium sativum "appealed" to me damn
it. Think I'll use somethin' called Mycostop. And don't go makin' out
like I don't like you, or I'll break your little neck.

'Sides, I'da thunk you woulda been aware of some of the undesirable
effects of copper sulfate. Perhaps you *were* aware and just
trollin'me in. ;-)

I got "black holes" in my gardening knowledge, you know that. Why else
would I pour fish juice all over my little seedlings?

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...os/copper-sulf
ate-ext.html

Read more like a MSDS (interesting tho'). Didn't refer much to plants
but since Google is my friend, I've found other citations.

Charlie

Poised to plant but situations just keep slowin' me down.

Old 28-03-2008, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:47:20 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:00:43 -0700, Billy wrote:

While both Henriette's (who I worship from afar) and Charlie's (not so
much) suggestions appeal to me, what's wrong with good ol' copper
sulfate?

"sniff, sniff"....it was the pink garden tutu, wasn't it?

I was blind for 36 hours, and the valium helps some.

Hoo boy, just you wait 'til you see this years garden ensemble!

Matricaria chamomilla and Allium sativum just sound so
less.......*chemical*.... than copper sulfate.

I said Matricaria chamomilla and Allium sativum "appealed" to me damn
it. Think I'll use somethin' called Mycostop. And don't go makin' out
like I don't like you, or I'll break your little neck.

Mycostop is a new one to me, and it looks like a "good thing". Nice
find. Bet it doesn't smell as purrrty as the chamomilla/allium mix in
my sprayer.

Ahhh.....ya' still likes me....ya' got me purrin' like the cat winding
around your ankles while you're inoculating the compost pile with Human
Compost Activator.

'Sides, I'da thunk you woulda been aware of some of the undesirable
effects of copper sulfate. Perhaps you *were* aware and just
trollin'me in. ;-)

I got "black holes" in my gardening knowledge, you know that. Why else
would I pour fish juice all over my little seedlings?

Ya' probably poured fish juice on your little darlin's 'cuz you was
listenin' to some knuckle-head blowin' off 'bout what s/he does. BTW,
I have no crud from using fish sauce. ;-)

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...ophos/copper-s
ulf
ate-ext.html

Read more like a MSDS (interesting tho'). Didn't refer much to plants
but since Google is my friend, I've found other citations.

MSDSs are our friends. No, it didn't have much to say about plants,
but it did state what it could do to me and the fishies and such things
like that. ;-)

Charlie

Poised to plant but situations just keep slowin' me down.

Same here, if you are talking weather; it will not get above 50 for
more than a day at a time. I temp probed the soil two days ago and
ground temp was 43 F!!!! Hell, they are calling for snow showers this
evening!!!!

May try your black plasitc trick and see what happens. If the sun will
shine for more that a day!

Charlie

CLEAR PLASTIC!!!

Look at the following sites first. Common sense says black plastic but
for whatever reason clear works better. I'll be sheeting up in about
three weeks and planting the hot weather stuff in four or five. Worst
that can happen is that they sit there lookin' at me, all confused about
what they are supposed to do with 65F soil.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~taber...pt%2000/redmul
ch.pdf

http://lubbock.tamu.edu/horticulture...sticMulchTypeo
nTomatoGrowthandYield_2004_.pdf

Old 28-03-2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:10:45 -0700, Billy wrote:

CLEAR PLASTIC!!!

Oh. *Now* I remember something being discussed about this recently. My
brain is like a sieve. Thanks. You just saved me a few bucks. I
already have several rolls of clear plastic. And duct tape, lots of
duct tape. ;-)

I'm waiting to put down my plastic as I want the rain to penetrate.
Likely, that's not your problem. Well, grab your ankles and brace
yourself big guy because here comes some more storms. We just dodged a
small storm but a bigger one is due next week. Once they've tried out
their stuff here, they usually head for the heart land, big time.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/

damping off debacle!! 0tterbot Australia 6 22-11-2007 10:01 PM
Sungold Tomatos - Damping Off? scrambled egg United Kingdom 0 20-04-2006 07:14 PM
damping off miklol United Kingdom 2 22-05-2003 10:56 PM
Germination medium to prevent damping off Neil Jones United Kingdom 13 27-02-2003 10:29 AM