Old 28-03-2008, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Urban Forestry, Oxymoron

In article ,
"Don Staples" wrote:

"symplastless" wrote in message
History of the term.
During the early to mid 1970's, elm disease was ravaging the northeastern
states. The people wanted something done by the federal government, and
fast. Senators and Congressmen from several states, especially Michigan,
Wisconsin, and Minnesota passed a bill giving a large amount of money to
help ease the spread of the tree disease. The agricultural research
service said that naturally all the funds would come to them because the
elm disease was an urban problem and they dealt with urban plant problems.
The U. S. Forest Service said, not so fast, and said they took care of
trees everywhere, so they should get the funds. A scramble for the funds
went on until the "big" guys stepped in and said why not both. So the
urban part would be for the one group and the forest part for the other
group. To this day, few people not only do not know this story, but even
fewer have thought about the name. We do know that several people tried
to define the oxymoron but it never got settled. Few really cared so long
as the money flowed. The use of it proves the lack of understanding of
what of forest is. Forest are not a group of trees, especially a group of
planted trees. Forest are systems, and you cannot plant a system! Forest
are really natural systems made up of trees, associates and abiotic parts,
connected in such highly ordered ways that so long as energy comes in, all
members have equal opportunities to repeat. YOU CANNOT HAVE AN URBAN
FOREST!!!! 33-47

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Nonsense

Not really, if you think of the forest as an ecosystem, fauna (mega and
micro) e.g. moose, bears, deer, boar, foxes, rabbits, snakes, ect.)
would be part of the ecology (the tree's associates I presume). Not
really suitable for an urban environment. Please post any exceptions.

John, for good or ill, you seem to be involved in 75% of the rancor in
these newsgroup. I know I could do without it. I'm know others could to.
To be certain, it isn't all your fault, but you do seem to snap at any
bait Don or Jangchub toss to you, and your cut and paste approach to
posting has no empathy or charm to it, and is unsatisfying to read.

Why not take a timeout? When you respond, say what you have to say, and
drop it. Don't respond to criticism. The groups will eventually sort out
the answer. Often, each of us only has a piece of the answer, and it
requires others to complete it. Let the system work.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/

Urban Forestry, Oxymoron symplastless Gardening 2 28-03-2008 05:34 PM
Horseradish Propogation (that's an oxymoron) Louis Ohland Gardening 0 22-10-2003 10:42 PM
Help forestry student! Larry Caldwell alt.forestry 6 10-02-2003 04:43 PM
forestry web site ? rgs50 alt.forestry 0 20-11-2002 02:26 AM
Field Forester Needed - Bevan Forestry Larry Harrell alt.forestry 3 31-10-2002 08:32 PM