Old 31-10-2002, 02:41 AM
Larry Harrell

Default Field Forester Needed - Bevan Forestry

"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message ...
"Chris Tcimpidis" wrote in message
. ..
Bevan Forestry, based in Sullivan County, New York State, USA, is

currently
searching for a person to fill a new forestry/technician position. This

is
an entry level position and is ideal for a recent college graduate with a
technical degree or professional degree and technical degree.

Please contact Bevan Forestry at 845-439-4909 or for
further information.

Just curious, but I assume you're a consulting firm? If so, please stick
around here and throw in your 2 cents on the many issues we talk about here.
What's your web page URL?

I was browsing through the Forestry Guild's site in the certification
listings and saw their entry. Could be a good way for us to learn
about "real" certification, Joe. I wonder if the USFS couldn't become
"certified" and start getting more return for Federal logs, instead of
being dirt-cheap.

Larry
Or are you a logging firm pretending to be a forestry firm? If so, that's
naught. G

Joe Zorzin

Old 31-10-2002, 05:10 PM
Michael Hagen

snip
I was browsing through the Forestry Guild's site in the certification
listings and saw their entry. Could be a good way for us to learn
about "real" certification, Joe. I wonder if the USFS couldn't become
"certified" and start getting more return for Federal logs, instead of
being dirt-cheap.

Wouldn't that be a kick - the feds timber program submitting to outside
agency, science based referees! Wait a minute - isn't that what happens
anyway? Except that the science part is still up in the air?
Actually, the state of Washington DNR IS considering it. If FSC wasn't
so expensive, it would probably be a shoo-in.
Old 31-10-2002, 08:27 PM
Joe Zorzin

"Larry Harrell" wrote in message
om...
"Joe Zorzin" wrote in message

[...]

hmmm.... USFS getting FSC certified? I think it would first be necessary to
fix the USFS, then get certified, not the other way around.

Old 31-10-2002, 08:32 PM
Joe Zorzin

"Michael Hagen" wrote in message
snip
I was browsing through the Forestry Guild's site in the certification
listings and saw their entry. Could be a good way for us to learn
about "real" certification, Joe. I wonder if the USFS couldn't become
"certified" and start getting more return for Federal logs, instead of
being dirt-cheap.

Wouldn't that be a kick - the feds timber program submitting to outside
agency, science based referees! Wait a minute - isn't that what happens
anyway? Except that the science part is still up in the air?
Actually, the state of Washington DNR IS considering it. If FSC wasn't
so expensive, it would probably be a shoo-in.

The state of Mass. is now under evaluation for FSC certification. Karl
Davies and I and a few others bitched to the company doing the work and they
met with us and we filled their ears with some juicy stuff. G I recently
emailed their head honcho and asked how the review was coming- they're
almost done, then it will go to their "peers". When I heard that, I chewed
him out since his peers will be more academics and high level Forest Circus
guys. Karl then chewed him out over the fact that no academics or USFS
honchos have a &^%$#@ clue. The review panel and the "peers" of that panel
should have included guys from the REAL world.

It's costing the taxpayers of Mass. about $150,000 for the FSC review- for
the half million acres they MISMANAGE.

JZ