Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Germinating

I really don't remember crookneck squash and the "romanesco" zuchs
germinating this vigorously. A week from planting and three days from
from breaking the surface of the seedling soil and they are two inches
high. The zuchs have 1' leaves. Basil broke first but is dallying now.
Almost perfect germination for the melons (three different types of
early watermelon, a charentais, and a muskmelon). Needed five, got nine.
Nights are above 40F so I have the cabbage and lettuce germinating out
side. Hopefully I'll get the parsnips and leeks in tomorrow, and spade
up the carrot patch. Tossed last years fennel and chamomile seeds into
what will soon be the cabbage patch. Now if I can just coax a little
heat out of this summer.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:11:22 -0700, Billy wrote:

I really don't remember crookneck squash and the "romanesco" zuchs
germinating this vigorously. A week from planting and three days from
from breaking the surface of the seedling soil and they are two inches
high. The zuchs have 1' leaves. Basil broke first but is dallying now.
Almost perfect germination for the melons (three different types of
early watermelon, a charentais, and a muskmelon). Needed five, got nine.
Nights are above 40F so I have the cabbage and lettuce germinating out
side. Hopefully I'll get the parsnips and leeks in tomorrow, and spade
up the carrot patch. Tossed last years fennel and chamomile seeds into
what will soon be the cabbage patch. Now if I can just coax a little
heat out of this summer.

Sigh.....rain, rain and more rain. Temps in the low forties daytime.

Today was a day for killing. Took scissors to transplants. I always
feel like there is so much potential going to compost.

On a positive note, the flat of pepperseeds are turning to
pepperseedlings. Always seems like it takes them so long to emerge and
I start thinking *Crop Failure*, but then nature does it things.

To play off a Bill quote...

"Nature brings forth peppers in it's own way."

Charlie

Is this jamming up any commercial planting?