Old 27-04-2008, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Container Garden:Transplanting Mint

I received from Nichols Seed Company yesterday the two mint plants I
ordered in January. One is a Black Simpson peppermint and the other a
spearmint. I am considering transplanting them both to a seven gallon
nursery pot. They will share an apartment for a while until I figure-
out how much of each I will use. If I need more of either for my
kitchen later I will take a cutting or a root to another location.

Are there cautions to this plan that my inexperience in gardening is
not allowing me to see?

Any comment is welcome.

Thank you.

Kitamun

--

Container Gardening in
Central California twelve miles from the ocean

Separate Posting to Newsgroups: rec.gardens and rec.gardens.edible

Old 27-04-2008, 10:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"kitamun" wrote in message
.net...

I received from Nichols Seed Company yesterday the two mint plants I
ordered in January. One is a Black Simpson peppermint and the other a
spearmint. I am considering transplanting them both to a seven gallon
nursery pot. They will share an apartment for a while until I figure-
out how much of each I will use. If I need more of either for my
kitchen later I will take a cutting or a root to another location.

Are there cautions to this plan that my inexperience in gardening is
not allowing me to see?

I don't know those varieties but do know that some will outgrow and crowd
out others :-(

Mary

Old 27-04-2008, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi All,
"kitamun" wrote in message
.net...

I received from Nichols Seed Company yesterday the two mint plants I
ordered in January. One is a Black Simpson peppermint and the other a
spearmint. I am considering transplanting them both to a seven gallon
nursery pot. They will share an apartment for a while until I figure-
out how much of each I will use. If I need more of either for my
kitchen later I will take a cutting or a root to another location.

Are there cautions to this plan that my inexperience in gardening is
not allowing me to see?

Any comment is welcome.

Thank you.

Kitamun

Most mint will take over everyting if you do not keep it under control. It
is best kept in some sort of container otherwise you will be lumbered with
trying to dig it out for ever. Hope tis helps you.

Richard M. watkin.

Old 27-04-2008, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"R M. Watkin" wrote:

Hi All,
"kitamun" wrote in message
.net...

I received from Nichols Seed Company yesterday the two mint plants I
ordered in January. One is a Black Simpson peppermint and the other a
spearmint. I am considering transplanting them both to a seven gallon
nursery pot. They will share an apartment for a while until I figure-
out how much of each I will use. If I need more of either for my
kitchen later I will take a cutting or a root to another location.

Are there cautions to this plan that my inexperience in gardening is
not allowing me to see?

Any comment is welcome.

Thank you.

Kitamun

Most mint will take over everyting if you do not keep it under control. It
is best kept in some sort of container otherwise you will be lumbered with
trying to dig it out for ever. Hope tis helps you.

Richard M. watkin.

The alternative is to adopt a border collie.

She totally destroyed my mint patch. g

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 27-04-2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"R M. Watkin" wrote:

Hi All,
"kitamun" wrote in message
.net...

[...]

Mine specializes in beets and lettuce:-( groan
--

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related

Old 28-04-2008, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"R M. Watkin" wrote:

Hi All,
"kitamun" wrote in message
.net...

[...]

Believe it or not, a low wire fence helps. I used to have NO grass at
all in the front yard. I fenced off the middle and one side and left her
a "race track" around the perimeter which I'll be lining with a wood
mulch for looks and mud control.

I now have grass returning to life in those protected areas. :-) She
jumps that low fence in the middle to go potty, but she does not stay in
there and stomp it all to death.

Right now I'm allowing her to kill the star jasmine in one area where I
don't want it. That stuff is a bear to pull out.

I'll fence it off once it's clear and put down landscaping fabric before
refinishing it.

Old 28-04-2008, 06:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"R M. Watkin" wrote:

Hi All,
"kitamun" wrote in message
.net...

[...]

She? Mine (Beau) only fires blanks but I'm sure he would like to meet
your little border collie. He is a short hair (McNabb). I use a motion
detecting sprinkler but Beau always finds when it's not turned on to
work his magic. He is also exploring other parts of the garden now. He
likes to finds an area and then paw it up like he is a bull or
somethin'. We have three lots of steep hillside and a bend in the one
way narrow street that we live on, so he has lots of fence line to
interact with pedestrians. I swear he hits warp nine going from one end
of the yard to the other (In contravention of all the laws of physics.).
His foster sister, Lilly, is a German shepherd and likes to play bounce
the border collie (she is 85 lbs. to his 45 lbs.) and then she licks
him. They are seven ears old this year and I hope that the start to show
their age. My garden deserves it. I deserve it.

Old 28-04-2008, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"R M. Watkin" wrote:

Hi All,
"kitamun" wrote in message
.net...

[...]

Jewely is also a short hair and she is spayed. A LOT of BC's end up
killed in shelters. They are such cute puppies but so bloody hyperactive
that many that get them have no clu' how to handle them.

I use a motion
detecting sprinkler but Beau always finds when it's not turned on to
work his magic. He is also exploring other parts of the garden now. He
likes to finds an area and then paw it up like he is a bull or
somethin'.

Jewel's does not dig. She is just constantly in motion so stomps
everything to death! The only plants that she damages deliberately are
tree branches that she leaps up in the air to grab. I've not had to
prune new low branches now from the hackberries for a couple of years.
g I fenced the crepe myrtle off to protect it, and she was tearing
strips of bark off of my old growth cedar, so I fenced that off too.
sigh

We have three lots of steep hillside and a bend in the one
way narrow street that we live on, so he has lots of fence line to
interact with pedestrians. I swear he hits warp nine going from one end
of the yard to the other (In contravention of all the laws of physics.).

lol Mine chases cars most of the day. Just fence chasing tho'. She is
confined to the fenced yard and does not jump it even tho' she could.
It's only 5 ft.

His foster sister, Lilly, is a German shepherd and likes to play bounce
the border collie (she is 85 lbs. to his 45 lbs.) and then she licks
him. They are seven ears old this year and I hope that the start to show
their age. My garden deserves it. I deserve it.

Heh! Sounds like it's fun to watch. Jewely's playmate right now is a
Pembroke corgie I'm fostering for my sister and brother in law. She is a
cool dog too.

Pics:

Jewely
http://i28.tinypic.com/2927dky.jpg

Chelsea
http://i10.tinypic.com/61z32f4.jpg

Old 28-04-2008, 10:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"R M. Watkin" wrote in message

Most mint will take over everyting if you do not keep it under control. It
is best kept in some sort of container otherwise you will be lumbered with
trying to dig it out for ever. Hope tis helps you.

I planted mine in a Belfast sink. The hens have kept it under control, in
fact they've cleared it completely. I thought that was impossible!

There's one new plant growing in the nearby veg. plot which is protected
from the hens, it's safe there. The sink didn't stop it spreading :-(

Mary

Old 28-04-2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Vastmasd wrote:

The BC recognised me and exchanged pleasantries with my dogs, but the
change in behaviour of the BC was amazing and people could be excused if
they thought it was a different dog.
--

Erik Vastmasd

It's amazing what a little training can do. g
It's hard tho' to slow down a dog that needs to be constantly moving. I
just compensate for it.

She's fine on a leash. I trained her using a head collar. She is also
_perfect_ in her recall training.

Old 28-04-2008, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"R M. Watkin" wrote:

Hi All,
"kitamun" wrote in message
.net...

[...]

Kinda looks like me, during my nap.

The "Hounds from Hell", a.k.a. Lilly & Beau.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=t5hv1w&s=3

They love taking walks but they rarely invite me. Escaping from the yard
just adds some spice, for them.

Old 29-04-2008, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Chelsea
http://i10.tinypic.com/61z32f4.jpg

Kinda looks like me, during my nap.

giggles

The "Hounds from Hell", a.k.a. Lilly & Beau.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=t5hv1w&s=3

Ok, Beau looks just like Jewels. :-) I'd kinda questioned her heritage
due to the short hair. Nice looking shephard! I've considered one of
those in the future.

They love taking walks but they rarely invite me. Escaping from the yard
just adds some spice, for them.
--

Sounds dangerous. :-(

Old 29-04-2008, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Chelsea
http://i10.tinypic.com/61z32f4.jpg

Kinda looks like me, during my nap.

giggles

The "Hounds from Hell", a.k.a. Lilly & Beau.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=t5hv1w&s=3

Ok, Beau looks just like Jewels. :-) I'd kinda questioned her heritage
due to the short hair. Nice looking shephard! I've considered one of
those in the future.

Two of the smartest breeds, and I'm paying the price;-( Not that they
aren't sweet and affectionate but lord, every time you turn around it's
something else. They plot against us and against each other. The other
day, Lilly went snarling and barking to the front gate. (The regulars
know that she is a fraud and reach in and pet her.) Beau ran after her.
While he was looking around to see what the fuss was about, she ran back
down the stairs, and ate the last of his breakfast.

Old 29-04-2008, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Chelsea
http://i10.tinypic.com/61z32f4.jpg
Kinda looks like me, during my nap.

giggles

The "Hounds from Hell", a.k.a. Lilly & Beau.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=t5hv1w&s=3

Ok, Beau looks just like Jewels. :-) I'd kinda questioned her heritage
due to the short hair. Nice looking shephard! I've considered one of
those in the future.

Two of the smartest breeds, and I'm paying the price;-(

You want smart, try a Pembroke Corgie!
She gets most new things in 2 to 3 tries. She outsmarts the BC when they
play. I watched her deliberately trip Jewely one time, then sit there
and laugh.

Not that they
aren't sweet and affectionate but lord, every time you turn around it's
something else. They plot against us and against each other. The other
day, Lilly went snarling and barking to the front gate. (The regulars
know that she is a fraud and reach in and pet her.) Beau ran after her.
While he was looking around to see what the fuss was about, she ran back
down the stairs, and ate the last of his breakfast.

Heh! The price of caring for hyperactive dogs. ;-D