Old 11-05-2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Onions

I planted some white and green onions seeds in a small plot 3 weeks’ back
(u.s. zone 10)
They all sprouted but now most have withered. Any suggestions on what to do
different next time?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 11, 12:27*pm, "Mike" wrote:
I planted some white and green onions seeds in a small plot 3 weeks’ back
(u.s. zone 10)
They all sprouted but now most have withered. Any suggestions on what to do
different next time?

Did you have a frost?
Old 12-05-2008, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Mike" wrote in news:NMHVj.16428$Au2.3398@trnddc07:

I planted some white and green onions seeds in a small plot 3 weeks’
back (u.s. zone 10)
They all sprouted but now most have withered. Any suggestions on what
to do different next time?

How much water have they gotten? Most plants (not sure about onions, first
time growing them) don't like to be too wet or too dry. A little bit of
water (rain counts!) once or twice a week is likely all they need.

Puckdropper

Old 12-05-2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

On May 11, 12:27 pm, "Mike" wrote:
I planted some white and green onions seeds in a small plot 3 weeks’ back
(u.s. zone 10)
They all sprouted but now most have withered. Any suggestions on what to do
different next time?

Did you have a frost?

Theres never any frost here in Socal zone 10
http://www.pondkoi.com/zones.htm

Old 12-05-2008, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--

I don't think they were over or under watered, though we had a couple of heat
blasts

I think I'll germinate them in starter trays next time so they grow a bit
before ground planing.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Mike
wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:

"Mike" wrote in news:NMHVj.16428$Au2.3398@trnddc07:

I planted some white and green onions seeds in a small plot 3 weeks’
back (u.s. zone 10)
They all sprouted but now most have withered. Any suggestions on what
to do different next time?

How much water have they gotten? Most plants (not sure about onions, first
time growing them) don't like to be too wet or too dry. A little bit of
water (rain counts!) once or twice a week is likely all they need.

Puckdropper
--

I don't think they were over or under watered, though we had a couple of heat
blasts
over a few days during the past 2 months.

I think I'll germinate them in starter trays next time so they grow a bit
before ground planing.

You killed onions? I didn't know it was possible. I pull them, and slice
them and dice them, and they still come back from the compost pile (like
in the Sorcerer's Apprentice). Try you coax them back by keeping the
ground moist (not wet). By all means, plan for the worst and start more
onions but you may want to give that time to the first planting to
recover.
--

Billy
Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mike wrote:

"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

On May 11, 12:27 pm, "Mike" wrote:
I planted some white and green onions seeds in a small plot 3 weeks’ back
(u.s. zone 10)
They all sprouted but now most have withered. Any suggestions on what to do
different next time?

Did you have a frost?

Theres never any frost here in Socal zone 10
http://www.pondkoi.com/zones.htm

I live in the SF Bay Area and my green onions are blooming already,
after growing all through the winter. Onions are cold-season crops, they
go dormant when it gets hot in the Summer. I suggest you plant your
onions in late fall