Old 13-05-2008, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default comfrey seed sprouting?

I bought some common comfrey seeds. I placed some in the lower refrigerator
for a few months before trying all these methods with those and the rest not
put in the refrigerator: I tried to sprout under glass (saran wrap) with
some under lights for 14 hours a day and some in darkness. I've tried some
in the garden where I want them. I've tried some wrapped in a paper towel
moistened and placed in a sandwich bag on a window ledge.

Is there a trick to sprouting comfrey seeds? and no, I don't have access to
comfrey roots.
And yes, the thought occured to me that its a bad batch of seeds.
~tom

Old 13-05-2008, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"tstovall" wrote:

I bought some common comfrey seeds. I placed some in the lower refrigerator
for a few months before trying all these methods with those and the rest not
put in the refrigerator: I tried to sprout under glass (saran wrap) with
some under lights for 14 hours a day and some in darkness. I've tried some
in the garden where I want them. I've tried some wrapped in a paper towel
moistened and placed in a sandwich bag on a window ledge.

Is there a trick to sprouting comfrey seeds? and no, I don't have access to
comfrey roots.
And yes, the thought occured to me that its a bad batch of seeds.
~tom

If that's Tom in the Republic of Texas, I'll send you some Russian
comfrey roots. We have a whole bunch that escaped the garden and took
over a wet swale on one of our hay meadows.

Is your mailing address on your website? Will the Dept. of Ag in Texas
get made at me for sending you some roots without asking for their
blessing?

Jan in Alaska
Old 13-05-2008, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
In article ,
"tstovall" wrote:

[...]

How very generous Jan. Thank you but I am not that Tom in Texas. I'm
scouring the entire city for roots.
~tom

Old 14-05-2008, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"tstovall" wrote:

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
In article ,
"tstovall" wrote:

[...]

Oh, heck. Well, email me a mailing address for you and I'll send you
some comfrey roots anyway. You can pay me back for the postage, if you
want.

The other Tom Stovall is a veterinary farrier (a highly-educated and
highly-skilled horse shoer). He helped me save the life of one of our
horses a few years back when the horse grass foundered, so I owe him,
big-time. That Tom is also a genuine character. He's really good people.

Jan