Old 16-05-2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Garden Fence

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 15 May 2008 15:01:58 -0700, Billy wrote:

yesterday I caught Lilly nibbling on the echinacea

My experience has been that dogs love echinacea. They kept it mowed to
the ground and when they could no longer graze, the *******s dug it up.
That was the collies that have since passed.

The dane just mashes stuff.

Chalrie

We have ours in a raised bed. 24" high. So far, the dogs have left it
alone and it comes back every year.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 16-05-2008, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I guess you folks be the champions of heat. What was it? One hundred
days of 100F temps or some god awful thing like that? I ain't gonna
bore you with my petty complaints. Sure felt fine to point the spray
nozzle straight up today and pull the trigger, though. Hmmm, hmmm,
hmmm.
--

Billy

Maybe in WEST Texas. :-)

I'm in the Hill Country.

It rarely breaks 100 all summer, but we have plenty of days in the 90's.

I did used to run a misting nozzle for my chickens when I had them.
The coop was built totally in the shade under post oaks.

Old 17-05-2008, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On May 16, 12:14 am, Billy wrote:
In article , Charlie wrote:
On Thu, 15 May 2008 18:04:11 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

The weather gods have been merciful. After a quick run up of the
temperature this morning, a breeze settled in and is keeping us around
99F accuweather.com & 100F weather.com()

I may have been a tad precipitous. It is 6 PM and 101F. Instead of
dropping to 93F tomorrow, the forecast now is for 103F. Sunflowers came
up today:-)

Uhhh...sorry to appear ignorant about climate outside of me own
backyard, but isn't this just a tad bit warmish for this time of year?
And in your area?

Charlie, looking fer signs of some sort ;-)

Oh, ye know how ma Nature is. Her habits are hard to divine.
Last year we went to 109F in May, very peculiar thing to happen.
In '96, we had rain in June, unheard of. Hot today, worse tomorrow.
Only thing that makes it bearable is knowing that soon, everybody will
be down in the same hole that we are in. Then we can all laugh about
it;o) Uh, that's not PC is it? Hmmm

Watered everything twice today. Found my passion flower. Thought I'd
lost it. Moving a hyssop down to the cabbage patch tomorrow and I'll
look around for my aeration stone. Gotta get up early to finish the
Dent corn patch. It just needs a little chicken doo, rock phosphate,
and some wood ash, and the drip laid out. Beautiful plant, Dent corn.
The Golden Bantam will be better eatin' but the Dent is spectacular too
look at. Goin' to put some of the Mammoth sunflowers in with it. In
the past I had them up by the road but now they will be down by
the front of the house where I can enjoy them more with "happy hour" and
dinner(once the mosquitos shove off).

Got "In Defense of Food " yesterday from the library. It's only a two
week loan so I guess I should get to it.

Is that the one by Pollan? I just saw him on TV, not 20 min. ago,
giving a talk at UCSB on nutrition. Sounds like a great book.

cheers

oz, shopping at the outside edge of the supermarket
Old 17-05-2008, 12:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in
:

Looking at brewing a batch of nettle tea real soon,
supposedly it greatly enhances the flavor of 'maters.

stinging nettle? i'm about to start pulling mine (before it
flowers/seeds). if my 'maters would like it, i'll make them
some tea.
is there any way to make thistles stay in line? the
goldfinches love them, but i really don't want them all
over...
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 17-05-2008, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Charlie wrote in
:

Looking at brewing a batch of nettle tea real soon,
supposedly it greatly enhances the flavor of 'maters.

stinging nettle? i'm about to start pulling mine (before it
flowers/seeds). if my 'maters would like it, i'll make them
some tea.
is there any way to make thistles stay in line? the
goldfinches love them, but i really don't want them all
over...
lee

http://www.google.com/search?client=...nging+nettle+r
ecipe&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

From above URL

http://nymag.com/restaurants/recipes/inseason/31788/

Just a thought.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org/

Old 17-05-2008, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Charlie wrote in
:

Looking at brewing a batch of nettle tea real soon,
supposedly it greatly enhances the flavor of 'maters.

stinging nettle? i'm about to start pulling mine (before it
flowers/seeds). if my 'maters would like it, i'll make them
some tea.
is there any way to make thistles stay in line? the
goldfinches love them, but i really don't want them all
over...
lee

Take a look at http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Urtica+dioica
before you start jerkin' them little guys.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 17-05-2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

Take a look at
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Urtica+dioica
before you start jerkin' them little guys.

oh, i know, but i have too many in just the wrong places. i
may attempt some transplants... i wonder if they'd mind being
bog plants...

lee
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered User

I noticed a couple of patches of green where I have my normal corn planting last year. Dents I have been wild. It is no longer respected the role of gardener and garden. I think this is a major event on corn, it needs to grow. Ah, I just prepared ordinary corn new bed, so I guess I just dig them up transplant them
Pond Supplies