Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Registered User

Default Fig Tree

Dear all

My fig tree for the 1st time since planting (5 years old) has no fruit. Could anyone tell me if I've done something wrong or do they sometimes have dormant years.

Thank You

Dermot
Old 02-07-2008, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dermot66 wrote:
Dear all

My fig tree for the 1st time since planting (5 years old) has no
fruit. Could anyone tell me if I've done something wrong or do they
sometimes have dormant years.

Was it get killed in winter back to ground level and have to put new
growth from the roots??

If so that's the cause, otherwise I have no answer because I'm having
a record harvest this year with some of mine over 2 inches long.

Tom J

Old 02-07-2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Dermot66 wrote:

Dear all

My fig tree for the 1st time since planting (5 years old) has no fruit.
Could anyone tell me if I've done something wrong or do they sometimes
have dormant years.

Thank You

Dermot

Needs direct sun and plenty of water.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 03-07-2008, 07:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dermot66 wrote:

Dear all

My fig tree for the 1st time since planting (5 years old) has no fruit.
Could anyone tell me if I've done something wrong or do they sometimes
have dormant years.

Thank You

Dermot

--
Dermot66

Did you have an unusually big crop last season? If so, it may be your tree
just
taking a rest. To prevent this 'biennial' (every second year) behavior, thin
your
fruit early in their life cycle to take a load off the tree. By the way,
this principle
holds for almost any fruit tree.

Sherwin

Old 03-07-2008, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 1, 3:08*pm, Dermot66
wrote:
Dear all

My fig tree for the 1st time since planting (5 years old) has no fruit.
Could anyone tell me if I've done something wrong or do they sometimes
have dormant years.

Thank You

Dermot

--
Dermot66

Did it flower?
Figs are pollinated by a wasp, if something disrupted their cycle then
the tree wouldn't have been pollinated. There are definitely problems
with bee populations where I live.

Susan B.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sueb wrote:
On Jul 1, 3:08 pm, Dermot66
wrote:
Dear all

My fig tree for the 1st time since planting (5 years old) has no
fruit. Could anyone tell me if I've done something wrong or do they
sometimes have dormant years.

Thank You

Dermot

--
Dermot66

Did it flower?
Figs are pollinated by a wasp, if something disrupted their cycle
then
the tree wouldn't have been pollinated. There are definitely
problems
with bee populations where I live.

QUOTE:
"Flowers: The tiny flowers of the fig are out of sight, clustered
inside the green "fruits", technically a synconium. Pollinating
insects gain access to the flowers through an opening at the apex of
the synconium. In the case of the common fig the flowers are all
female and need no pollination."

I live in the South East USA and I've never seen a flower on a fig
bush/tree UNTIL I cut open the ripe fruit.
Figs are self pollinated in my area. I just don't see that as the
problem unless you are in the Mediterranean.

Tom J

Old 04-07-2008, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
sueb wrote:

On Jul 1, 3:08*pm, Dermot66
wrote:
Dear all

My fig tree for the 1st time since planting (5 years old) has no fruit.
Could anyone tell me if I've done something wrong or do they sometimes
have dormant years.

Thank You

Dermot

--
Dermot66

Did it flower?
Figs are pollinated by a wasp, if something disrupted their cycle then
the tree wouldn't have been pollinated. There are definitely problems
with bee populations where I live.

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/articl...WS08/806270374

Warning on losses in bee colonies
Crisis could worsen, boost food prices, House told

Published: Friday, June 27, 2008 at 4:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, June 27, 2008 at 3:44 a.m.
The Press Democrat, 2006
Honeybees are declining rapidly, experts say.

WASHINGTON -- A record 36 percent of U.S. commercial bee colonies have
been lost to mysterious causes so far this year and worse may be yet to
come, experts told a congressional panel Thursday.

Food prices could rise even more unless the strange decline in honeybees
is solved, the lawmakers were told.

"No bees, no crops," North Carolina grower Robert Edwards told a House
agriculture subcommittee. Edwards said he had to cut his cucumber
acreage in half because of the lack of bees available to rent.

The year's bee colony losses are about twice the usual seen following a
typical winter, scientists warn. Despite ambitious new research efforts,
the causes remain a mystery.

(cont.)

Susan B.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 09-07-2008, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 3, 1:08*pm, "Tom J" wrote:
sueb wrote:
On Jul 1, 3:08 pm, Dermot66
wrote:
[...]

Tom J- Hide quoted text -

This is from a website of a professor of Biology at the Imperial
College London:
"Phylogenies of insects and their host plants
There are several hundred species of fig trees (Ficus species) found
throughout the world and each has its own unique species of
pollinating wasp. The fig is totally dependent upon the wasp for
pollination while the wasp is similarly dependent upon the fig fruits
for the development of its offspring. Consequently this relationship
is an obligate mutualism. In addition, each fig species also supports
a number of non-pollinating wasp species whose offspring develop in
the fig fruits but provide no pollination service."

You don't have to live near the Mediterranean to live in a
Mediterranean climate. Most of California has a Mediterranean
climate.

Susan B.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sueb wrote:

"Phylogenies of insects and their host plants
There are several hundred species of fig trees (Ficus species) found
throughout the world and each has its own unique species of
pollinating wasp. The fig is totally dependent upon the wasp for
pollination while the wasp is similarly dependent upon the fig
fruits
for the development of its offspring.

That writer knows not of what he writes. That's just not the case in
the SE USA. In 70 years of eating fresh figs right off the bush and 60
years of making fig preserves and fig syrup, I have yet to find a wasp
or wasp larva in or on a fig. What I have found are yellow jackets,
ants and gnats where some were left until they were over ripe and
split, but that's it.

Tom J

Old 09-07-2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
sueb wrote:

On Jul 3, 1:08*pm, "Tom J" wrote:
sueb wrote:
On Jul 1, 3:08 pm, Dermot66
wrote:
[...]

And every fig you eat contains at least one dead adult bug. ;-)