Old 06-07-2008, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Gardens in the News

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ed...ticles/2008/07
/04/whats_growing_at_the_white_house/?page=full

What's growing at the White House?
By Ellen Goodman
July 4, 2008

SCARBOROUGH, Maine

IT HAS BEEN decades since that famous forager Euell Gibbons reached
through the White House fence and picked four edible weeds out of the
president's garden. This is not something that the Secret Service would
recommend you try today.

But Roger Doiron has a better plan for eating the view of 1600
Pennsylvania Ave. He's started a campaign to get a kitchen garden
growing on the White House lawn.

Doiron works out of his small Cape house in Maine, where I find him one
summer day. A wasp-thin 41-year-old, he's part of the fastest-growing -
I used the word literally - movement in the country. His organization,
Kitchen Gardeners International, is one link in a loose chain of
partisans who are neither conservatives nor liberals but locavores. They
want to think global, eat local. Very local. As in their front and
backyard.

He shows me the lawn sign that expresses his politics: "1,500 Miles, 400
Gallons, Say What?" It's a reference to the average miles food travels
to your plate and the gallons of fuel used in its migration. It's not
the sexiest slogan, but kitchen gardeners are probably as passionate
about vegetables as Republicans are about tax cuts. . . .

-------

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...guerrilla-gard
ening,0,6421881,full.story

Guerrilla gardeners dig in to beautify Los Angeles
By LAURA E. DAVIS, Associated Press Writer
12:20 PM PDT, July 4, 2008

LOS ANGELES -- More than a dozen people, some wearing orange protective
gear, pulled rakes and shovels from a dingy shopping cart and started
working on a parched patch of land along a busy off-ramp of the
Hollywood Freeway.

It was a Saturday night and drivers whooshed past on their way to the
Sunset Strip club scene.

But the crew was undeterred, and by the wee hours, they had transformed
the blight into bloom with green bushes and an array of colorful flowers.

City workers on overtime? Nope, no budget for that. These were
"guerrilla gardeners," a global movement of the grass-roots variety
where people seek to beautify empty or overgrown public space, usually
under the cover of darkness and without the permission of municipal
officials.

"What we're fighting is neglect," said guerrilla gardening guru Richard
Reynolds of London, founder of the Web site guerillagardening.org.

Getting approval to beautify public property can be cumbersome, so
guerrilla gardeners in cities worldwide take matters into their own
dirt-caked hands. . . .

---------

http://www.aclu.org/safefree/torture...s20080430.html

Home : Safe and Free : Torture
Newly Unredacted Report Confirms Psychologists Supported Illegal
Interrogations In Iraq and Afghanistan (4/30/2008)

Documents Obtained By ACLU Also Uncover "Widespread Use" Of Rescinded
Unlawful Interrogation Techniques And Failure Of Medical Personnel To
Report Abuses

Whoops, wrong news group. Bad on me;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 06-07-2008, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ed...ticles/2008/07
/04/whats_growing_at_the_white_house/?page=full

What's growing at the White House?
By Ellen Goodman
July 4, 2008

SCARBOROUGH, Maine

IT HAS BEEN decades since that famous forager Euell Gibbons reached
through the White House fence and picked four edible weeds out of the
president's garden. This is not something that the Secret Service would
recommend you try today.

Euell took a lot of grieve fro eating in a fast food place. No mention
of the message just media ridicule. Ah it is nice to be a purist when
you point the camera at others.

But Roger Doiron has a better plan for eating the view of 1600
Pennsylvania Ave. He's started a campaign to get a kitchen garden
growing on the White House lawn.

Doiron works out of his small Cape house in Maine, where I find him one
summer day. A wasp-thin 41-year-old, he's part of the fastest-growing -
I used the word literally - movement in the country. His organization,
Kitchen Gardeners International, is one link in a loose chain of
partisans who are neither conservatives nor liberals but locavores. They
want to think global, eat local. Very local. As in their front and
backyard.

Locavore¹s sounds like a tea shirts to wear about. Wonder who would
care unless the message is real simple sort of like your food dollars at
work transport or farmers?

12:20 PM PDT, July 4, 2008

[...]

IŒd say we are suffering from the lack of ownership. All this work yet
if no one steps up for communion it is all for naught. By this I suggest
a garden where someone cares fares better then one where the count shows
up once a month.

http://www.aclu.org/safefree/torture...s20080430.html

Home : Safe and Free : Torture
Newly Unredacted Report Confirms Psychologists Supported Illegal
Interrogations In Iraq and Afghanistan (4/30/2008)

Documents Obtained By ACLU Also Uncover "Widespread Use" Of Rescinded
Unlawful Interrogation Techniques And Failure Of Medical Personnel To
Report Abuses

Whoops, wrong news group. Bad on me;o)

Casualties of foreign intervention is not confined to combatants.
People who do wrongful things carry it with them for life. Some may try
to heal other¹s just suffer and buy things to replace the heart damage.
Hope is their families are spared but history paints a tale of abuse and
divorce and sadness.

War what is it good for?

Bill Ranting

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Jul 6, 12:58�pm, Bill wrote:
In article
,

Locavore�s sounds like a tea shirts to wear �about.

English, please.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

On Jul 6, 12:58?pm, Bill wrote:
In article
,

Locavore?s sounds like a tea shirts to wear ?about.

English, please.

I will try my best.

Locavore or plural = Folks who see value in obtaining food close to
home the closer the better.

Tea shirts with locavore may engender a few questions.

Granted it is not spelled out but it is a suggestion a way to ponder
about the way our food comes to us. If you are not into these ideas
that is OK but if a spark of intuitable possibilities occurs who could
ask for more ?

Locavore in the context of the posted article is a new word. Perhaps
you can help to define it.

Bill whose favorite word is educare . To bring out.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

The last paragraph goes."Eat the View doesn't have the marching sound of
John Philip Sousa. It doesn't have the patriotic salience of a flag. But
in dicey times, the idea of growing just a bit of your own food carries
the real flavor of July Fourth. It smacks a lot of independence."

So you see, gardening is a revolutionary act. Viva la revolucion.
-------

12:20 PM PDT, July 4, 2008

[...]

We are also suffering from lack of leadership, where property rights
trumph human rights.
I hope the Angelenos appreciate the life that these people are trying to
breath into their world of concrete and black top.

http://www.aclu.org/safefree/torture...s20080430.html

Home : Safe and Free : Torture
Newly Unredacted Report Confirms Psychologists Supported Illegal
Interrogations In Iraq and Afghanistan (4/30/2008)

Documents Obtained By ACLU Also Uncover "Widespread Use" Of Rescinded
Unlawful Interrogation Techniques And Failure Of Medical Personnel To
Report Abuses

Whoops, wrong news group. Bad on me;o)

Casualties of foreign intervention is not confined to combatants.
People who do wrongful things carry it with them for life. Some may try
to heal other¹s just suffer and buy things to replace the heart damage.
Hope is their families are spared but history paints a tale of abuse and
divorce and sadness.

War what is it good for?

Absolutely nuthin', say it again.

Bill Ranting

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 06-07-2008, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

IŒd say we are suffering from the lack of ownership. All this work yet
if no one steps up for communion it is all for naught. By this I suggest
a garden where someone cares fares better then one where the count shows
up once a month.

We are also suffering from lack of leadership, where property rights
trumph human rights.
I hope the Angelenos appreciate the life that these people are trying to
breath into their world of concrete and black top.

Ownership in the sense of stewardship. A return to the commons. But I
dream. People helping the other even if there is not one.

Bill

Some Music yet again.

Farm Boy 3:38 Billy Bragg Mr. Love & Justice Rock

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 06-07-2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

On Jul 6, 12:58?pm, Bill wrote:
In article
,

Locavore?s sounds like a tea shirts to wear ?about.

English, please.

You sure your from California?

"1,500 Miles, 400 Gallons, Say What?" It's a reference to the average
miles food travels to your plate and the gallons of fuel used in its
migration.

Food tastes better and has more nutrients when it is grown locally.
That's because it hasn't been bumping around in the back of a truck for
the last week and lying on a display rack in your supermarket for
another three or four days (fresher, in a word). If you purchase direct
from the farmer, he cuts out the middleman and pockets all the profit.
There is an environmental benefit in that fossil fuel consumption, for
delivery (and if organic, for chemical fertilizers and pesticides as
well) , is reduced. Check out you local CSA (Community Supported
Agriculture). http://www.localharvest.org/csa/ In your case it is
Ocean Air Farms
150 Bolen Ln.
Fort Dick, CA 95531

Contact Information
Paul and Julie Jo Madeira, Ayer Williams
707-616-1632

And don't forget you local farmer's markets at
Arcata Farmers' Market, (SAT): first and last few months
Crescent City Farmers' Market, (Sat): entire market season
Brookings Harbor Farmers' Market (Sat): entire market season

Got that vent chopped yet?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Bill wrote in

news.net:

In article

.net.au,
Billy wrote:
Getting approval to beautify public property can be
cumbersome, so guerrilla gardeners in cities worldwide
take matters into their own dirt-caked hands. . . .

---------

IŒd say we are suffering from the lack of ownership. All
this work yet
if no one steps up for communion it is all for naught. By
this I suggest a garden where someone cares fares better
then one where the count shows up once a month.

what i want to know is why one needs all kinds of permits to
beautify *public* property? if it's public, it's ours. we
*should* take resposibility to clean it up & care for it.
i think the problem is that we are so used to having others
take care of things for us (how many city folk know where
their garbage goes?), that we no longer know what is *ours* &
what to do with it.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 07-07-2008, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message

The last paragraph goes."Eat the View doesn't have the marching sound of
John Philip Sousa. It doesn't have the patriotic salience of a flag. But
in dicey times, the idea of growing just a bit of your own food carries
the real flavor of July Fourth. It smacks a lot of independence."

Jingoistic veggie growing! I think I'm going to throw up!

Good News-Bad News Bob Adkins Ponds 2 14-09-2003 06:32 PM
Sad news, good news and questions all in one message Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 18 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
There is good news and bad news Essjay001 United Kingdom 0 10-06-2003 02:32 AM