Old 14-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Bob Adkins

Default Good News-Bad News

To dig my recreational pond, I finally put an ad in the paper for "Free
Dirt,,You Dig It, You Haul it".

The response was pretty fair, then I got a call from the city recreational
manager. He recently received a large endowment to build several parks and 9
softball fields. I was elated! 20,000+ cubic yards of soil are hard to get
rid of down here! "Dirt cheap" is not just a metaphor down here.

I had at least 4 people coming to dig Saturday. Well, Thursday and Friday
the bottom fell out! Got 4 inches of rain within 24 hours!

I lugged my heavy pump to the pond, and pumped about 8 hours yesterday. I
left the 64,000 GPH gasoline engine pump running last night and went home. I
bet most of the water is gone this morning when I go back. I should be able
to finish it in an hour or 2. It will take 3-4 days to dry enough to get
earth moving equipment into the pond. Weather looks good for at the next 6-7
days. No tropical storms, PLEASE!

Last 5-6 years, there was virtually no rain during the Summer. Looks like
digging a pond is as big a rain magnet as washing a fleet of cars.

~~~~~~~~~~
2 feet and pumping!

Bob
Old 14-09-2003, 05:12 PM