Old 16-07-2008, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

Default Basil

Hi all,

I've been harvesting my basil leaves and have made a couple of basil
dishes with them. I made Chicken Basil (Thai) and Shrimp Basil
Pasta. Sooo good.

I read that I need to keep picking off the flowers to keep them
producing leaves. I was wondering if I let one of my plants flower
out and the seeds fall on the ground (I'm moving one from pot to the
ground) will they come back next year on their own from these seeds or
will I have to some how save the seeds? I live in DC USA, zone 6 I
believe.

Thanks,
Wil
Old 16-07-2008, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Wil" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've been harvesting my basil leaves and have made a couple of basil
dishes with them. I made Chicken Basil (Thai) and Shrimp Basil
Pasta. Sooo good.

I read that I need to keep picking off the flowers to keep them
producing leaves. I was wondering if I let one of my plants flower
out and the seeds fall on the ground (I'm moving one from pot to the
ground) will they come back next year on their own from these seeds or
will I have to some how save the seeds? I live in DC USA, zone 6 I
believe.

Mine don't come back. I have to save the seeds or keep cutting over the
winter in my greenhouse.

Thanks,
Wil

Old 23-07-2008, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

On Jul 16, 1:11*pm, "Marie Dodge" wrote:
"Wil" wrote in message

Hi all,

I've been harvesting my basil leaves and have made a couple of basil
dishes with them. *I made Chicken Basil (Thai) and Shrimp Basil
Pasta. *Sooo good.

I read that I need to keep picking off the flowers to keep them
producing leaves. *I was wondering if I let one of my plants flower
out and the seeds fall on the ground (I'm moving one from pot to the
ground) will they come back next year on their own from these seeds or
will I have to some how save the seeds? *I live in DC USA, zone 6 I
believe.

Mine don't come back. I have to save the seeds or keep cutting over the
winter in my greenhouse.

Thanks,
Wil- Hide quoted text -

OK, thanks for that Marie. I'll save the seeds because out these
basils are very nice, good taste great arroma and succulent leaves.
Much better than tha Thai basils that I used to buy from the Asian
stores.

How do I go about saving the seeds? Do I wait for the flower to dry
up on the plants and bag them? What's the procedure?

Thanks,
WIl
Old 24-07-2008, 09:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I think it might be easier to save cuttings. They root in water
easily.
Old 25-07-2008, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

On Jul 24, 4:31*am, "Laura from MomsRetro.com"
wrote:
I think it might be easier to save cuttings. They root in water
easily.

Hmm, I tried that with my spring onion and lemongrass and they are
doing well. I didn't know that basils do that too. Cool, I'll have
to try that.

Thanks,
Wil

Old 27-07-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Wil" wrote in message

[...]

-------
That's what I do. The seeds are small and black like coleus seeds. They
germinate well in spring in sterile seed-starting soil. Keep them very warm
and on a sunny windowsill. We have an 8X16' hobby greenhouse where we start
all our plants. You can also take a cutting and keep it over the winter in a
south window.

Old 29-07-2008, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

"Wil" wrote in message

[...]

south window.- Hide quoted text -

I'll try to save some seeds and maybe even bring in a couple of plants
when it gets cold. I hav my basils in containers still.

Thanks for the pointers.
Old 19-08-2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Poe Poe is offline

wrote:
I think it might be easier to save cuttings. They root in water
easily.

Hmm, I tried that with my spring onion and lemongrass and they are
doing well. I didn't know that basils do that too. Cool, I'll have
to try that.

Thanks,
Wil

You saved lemon grass? I'd like to keep mine overwinter, but I wasn't
sure how. I'll try it.

Letting Basil Go To Seed (was: Keeping Basil) Daniel B. Martin North Carolina 1 13-11-2003 01:14 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 3 04-03-2003 10:27 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:03 PM
hydroponic basil speeder Gardening 1 27-01-2003 07:08 PM
gnats in my basil Eddie G Lawns 1 17-12-2002 09:11 AM