Old 23-07-2008, 06:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I have a flower!

Newbie gardener here (1st house, 1st garden) live in zone 4a and we've
had a really crappy long cold spring and early summer that (some
say)shortened the growing season, but things seem to be coming along fine.

I have a question about my strawberry plant. I bought one from Home
Depot in early May and kept it indoors, transfering it to a MUCH bigger
pot because I know they need room to grow. It was marked 'sequoia
strawberry' and I figured that was the variety of strawberry. Research
online indicated that it would probably bear no fruit its first season
and that I should keep it in the pot and plant it in a raised bed next
year (2009).

I watered it according to what the general consensus of websites was
(keep it damp but not running with water, add fertilizer every once in a
while) and watched it flower. One flower. Eventually in late May it
produced one strawberry, which when I ate it was pretty good, all things
considered. The plant was pretty stringy and the strawberry was actually
weighing down the plant, but it still looked healthy, so I didn't worry.

After I ate the strawberry the plant seemed to go into dormant mode, or
something. I kept watering it, and soon after moved it outside (still in
its pot) to our new yard. The amount of rain we've been getting seems to
agree with it -- now it's putting forth new leaves like crazy which are
coming up in clumps, very low to the soil (more like how I've always
seem strawberry plants look) and the leaves themselves are a very
healthy color and texture. Very soon I'll have to transfer it to
another, even bigger pot (prepatory to bringing it in for the winter and
then actually *planting* it next year).

And I have another flower! With one more about to blossom. This
surprised me because I figured that my plant was done for the season.

My question is this: Can I expect more strawberries out of this plant?
Should I let the flowers turn into berries? (Some of the websites seemed
to agree that I ought to pinch the flowers off, but my plant looks
pretty healthy to me with them on.) Advice from people who've gardened
before would be good.

Thanks!

The Newbie Gardener
Old 23-07-2008, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Camp Kitchen" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

This is an "everbearing" variety. They generally have one big crop, then take a
break, then produce more slowly for the rest of the season. Watch for runners,
and guide them to soil to get more plants. Pinching flowers may encourage
runners.

I would just put it in the ground if that's where you want it. It is more likely
to grow and spread in the ground.

Older plants produce less, so after 3 years, removing the older plants will
allow more room to the younger, healthier ones.