Old 27-08-2008, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Rain!!

It has finally rained here. We have had an extremely dry summer. Our
rain gauge (a pot sitting on the deck) was full this morning, so we
have had at least 2.75 inches of rain. More predicted today. I will
have to get out and pick tomatoes, watermelons and cantaloupes before
they start splitting. I still have 35 pounds of tomatoes waiting to
be made into salsa and I need to make another batch of butternut soup.
Old 27-08-2008, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

It has finally rained here. We have had an extremely dry summer. Our
rain gauge (a pot sitting on the deck) was full this morning, so we
have had at least 2.75 inches of rain. More predicted today. I will
have to get out and pick tomatoes, watermelons and cantaloupes before
they start splitting. I still have 35 pounds of tomatoes waiting to
be made into salsa and I need to make another batch of butternut soup.

I like to just eat butternut steamed and mashed. ;-d
A little salt and butter, maybe some shredded jack cheese...
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 27-08-2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:51:30 -0500, The Cook
wrote:

It has finally rained here. We have had an extremely dry summer. Our
rain gauge (a pot sitting on the deck) was full this morning, so we
have had at least 2.75 inches of rain. More predicted today. I will
have to get out and pick tomatoes, watermelons and cantaloupes before
they start splitting. I still have 35 pounds of tomatoes waiting to
be made into salsa and I need to make another batch of butternut soup.

We must have gotten your share of rain. I have a fairly decent weather
station and since June 1st this year we've had 374.4 mm of rain
(that's 14-3/4 inches).
We've also had one of the coolest summers in a long time. Much of our
garden is a bust.

Ross
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Old 27-08-2008, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

[...]
... and I need to make another batch of butternut soup.

I like to just eat butternut steamed and mashed. ;-d
A little salt and butter, maybe some shredded jack cheese...

on top of that I grind some pepper corns yum!

Old 27-08-2008, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

"Omelet" wrote

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

[...]
... and I need to make another batch of butternut soup.

I like to just eat butternut steamed and mashed. ;-d
A little salt and butter, maybe some shredded jack cheese...

on top of that I grind some pepper corns yum!

Absolutely!
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Old 28-08-2008, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:18:39 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

It has finally rained here. We have had an extremely dry summer. Our
rain gauge (a pot sitting on the deck) was full this morning, so we
have had at least 2.75 inches of rain. More predicted today. I will
have to get out and pick tomatoes, watermelons and cantaloupes before
they start splitting. I still have 35 pounds of tomatoes waiting to
be made into salsa and I need to make another batch of butternut soup.

I like to just eat butternut steamed and mashed. ;-d
A little salt and butter, maybe some shredded jack cheese...

I prefer the soup, especially when I have several to do something
with. I will freeze the soup.
Old 28-08-2008, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

I like to just eat butternut steamed and mashed. ;-d
A little salt and butter, maybe some shredded jack cheese...

It's also good mashed with real butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins.
:-)~

--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Old 28-08-2008, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

I like to just eat butternut steamed and mashed. ;-d
A little salt and butter, maybe some shredded jack cheese...

It's also good mashed with real butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins.
:-)~

Yes, sweet instead of savory.

It can also be made into "pumpkin" bread and frozen, or pies for
immediate consumption.

Granted, there is naught wrong with soup. We get burned out on soup
pretty quickly.
--
Peace! Om

"Crime does not pay as well as Politics".
-- Anon.
Old 28-08-2008, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

I like to just eat butternut steamed and mashed. ;-d
A little salt and butter, maybe some shredded jack cheese...

It's also good mashed with real butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and
raisins.
:-)~

Yes, sweet instead of savory.

It can also be made into "pumpkin" bread and frozen, or pies for
immediate consumption.

Granted, there is naught wrong with soup. We get burned out on soup
pretty quickly.

I'm no soup eater myself. I don't find it filling or satisfying. I make it
for my husband. He enjoys soup with crackers in the winter.

Old 28-08-2008, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:51:30 -0500, The Cook

We must have gotten your share of rain. I have a fairly decent weather
station and since June 1st this year we've had 374.4 mm of rain
(that's 14-3/4 inches).
We've also had one of the coolest summers in a long time. Much of our
garden is a bust.

You must have gotten all our rain also. We've had no more than 5" since June
1st. We had to irrigate but lost over 1/3 of the harvest to insect pests
and disease.