Old 21-09-2008, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default I can't win

For years birds and squirrels would get to my figs before me. This
year I was able to keep the birds and squirrels off with a net. So
this year my fig are being eaten by ants and wasps.
Old 21-09-2008, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:
For years birds and squirrels would get to my figs before me. This
year I was able to keep the birds and squirrels off with a net. So
this year my fig are being eaten by ants and wasps.

I managed to eat one ripe fig this year. None last year or the year
before, even though it produces twice yearly. Now my tree, bush
really, is sideways with much of its root system exposed. Any ideas on
what might be the best way to save it?
Old 21-09-2008, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"James" wrote in message

For years birds and squirrels would get to my figs before me. This
year I was able to keep the birds and squirrels off with a net. So
this year my fig are being eaten by ants and wasps.

Have you tried covering the whole tree with an old terylene curtain and
taping that securely around the truck of the tree?

Old 21-09-2008, 08:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
James wrote:

For years birds and squirrels would get to my figs before me. This
year I was able to keep the birds and squirrels off with a net. So
this year my fig are being eaten by ants and wasps.

Bird netting over the tree, sevin dust at the base for ants.

Can't help you with the wasps...

Just harvest every morning, early?
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain
Old 21-09-2008, 08:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Mycosimian wrote:

James wrote:
For years birds and squirrels would get to my figs before me. This
year I was able to keep the birds and squirrels off with a net. So
this year my fig are being eaten by ants and wasps.

I managed to eat one ripe fig this year. None last year or the year
before, even though it produces twice yearly. Now my tree, bush
really, is sideways with much of its root system exposed. Any ideas on
what might be the best way to save it?

Raise a rock bed around it and fill it with soil.

Old 24-09-2008, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I can grow stuff that people say can't be grown but the easy-to-grow
fig kicked my manure pile. I tried for 5 years to grow figs, but a 1'
fig tree I bought grew less than 8" during all that time, I had given
another fig bought from the same nursery at the same time to my
mother-in-law and it grew 15' in one year before she had to top it
because the wind was threatening to snap the branches. After I gave that
damned fig ( from my point of view) to my Grandmother, she got two crops
a year off the devil plant with no effort at all, so yeah, there is no
justice in the world of gardening.
Pat

Old 24-09-2008, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:

For years birds and squirrels would get to my figs before me. This
year I was able to keep the birds and squirrels off with a net. So
this year my fig are being eaten by ants and wasps.

I agree, "there justice in the world of gardening". I have been unable
to get my felt flowers to grow even one inch in ten years. I feel your
pain.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

can't win stuart noble United Kingdom 7 31-01-2012 08:34 PM
Fun virtual gardening competition to win £10,000 Tulip Tam Marketplace 1 14-04-2009 12:13 PM
'Monsanto is big. You can’t win. We will get you. You will pay.' Joe[_13_] Gardening 0 15-04-2008 12:11 AM
O/t Win a £6,000 Makeover Helen & Daniel United Kingdom 0 21-04-2003 11:56 PM
O/t Win a £6,000 Makeover janet.bennett United Kingdom 0 21-04-2003 11:56 PM