Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2008, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Raised garden redux

I was out scrounging today at a location where they abandoned a dirt
operation. I was looking for plate and screen. I found a lot of both,
particularly industrial screen that I now can make a hefty sifter to
separate fine soil from the local rocks.

What I did find were a dozen 40" diameter collars. They are galvanized
steel, and use two allthread devices to suck them up. They were intended to
join two large sections of galvanized pipe together. They are 16" wide, so
they are perfect for tree rings. Having the split in them, just pull them
apart, go around they tree, and bolt them together.

Two of them stacked would make one perfect raised bed.

Scrounging can be a good thing.

We also found where someone had taken down a very large tree. They sawed it
into 16" lengths. We loaded the pickup up, and I have a splitter. Easier
than driving the 80 mile round trip to the local forest cutting grounds.

Steve

- Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. - Barack
Obama