Old 22-02-2009, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Eager for spring

I've got tons of seeds I saved and got free from a nursery last year, plus
the new stuff I've gotten for this year, and I want to be able to start
planting them outside. I just wonder if I'll have enough space...we have
just over an acre here, but I've got seeds for quite a few herbs, pumpkins,
melons, lettuce, mustard greens, sunflowers(plus tons of other kinds of
flowers/decorative plants), beets, radishes, cabbage, okra, decorative
gourds(including luffa), cauliflower, tomatoes, peppers(hot and bell), corn,
kohlrabi, beans, quinoa, carrots, peas, squash, cucumbers, berries(Garden
Huckleberry, Sunberry, and Strawberry Spinach from Seed Savers), and plants
I've gotten this year(some of which won't be shipped to me for another 3
weeks or so) include 2 rhubarb, 3 roses(I'm trying to recreate my
grandmother's rose garden in her memory), 4 blueberries, 1 ginger root, and
others I can't remember right now...I wanna get a sugar maple and apricot
trees this year too....I just got done the other day making a list of the
germination and maturation timetables for each varieties of things I have,
so I know when I need to plant to have them ready for certain farmer's
market dates. The first one is about 111 days away. In about a week or so
I've got to start building raised beds and such for them all...I've also got
3 compost piles/homemade bins full of stuff that needs to hurry up and
finish composting so I can use it...what is everyone else planning to grow
this season?

Victoria, zone 5
--
What would YOU do for a Klondike Bar?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 23-02-2009, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nan Nan is offline

On Feb 22, 2:33*pm, "Lilah Morgan" wrote:
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/vhestinhttp:/...opespringsfarm

I am so ready for spring. Here in DE I have daffodils that are about
4" out of the ground.
We just went to a seed store and got 'maters, cukes, green peppers,
zuchini, lettuce, spinach, sugar snap peas, & green beans. Now today
starts the planting of the seeds. We have a room with 2 skylites that
should provide enough sun to get them out of the ground. When it warms
up we will put them outside on nice days til the nights get warm
enough to harden them off. This is the biggest garden we have ever
grown, it should be intresting. More space can be tilled if we need
it, and I think we just may!!
Hope your garden flourishes!!
Nan in DE
Old 26-02-2009, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I hope your garden flourishes too...I start seeds in my bedroom because it
gets the most sunlight, it has one window facing south, and one
facing...east I think, could be west, too lazy to go get my compass
now...and my lettuce leaf basil has sprouted! Yay! I couldn't get ANY basil
to sprout last year(I have sweet/genovese, lettuce leaf, spicy globe, and
lemon)

Old 27-02-2009, 08:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi Lilah,

If you stand and look out of your south facing window. East is on your Left
and West is on your Right. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin

ers2...

Old 27-02-2009, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"R M Watkin" wrote:

Hi Lilah,

If you stand and look out of your south facing window. East is on your Left
and West is on your Right. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin

Here Sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Looking south same
as Richard's post. Sort of reminds me to make sure the sun dial is ready
for another year.

Bill who has a Sun dial watch . Fun stuff sort of a gentle reminder of
connection to nature.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA