Old 16-05-2009, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default onions and leeks question

In article ,
Bill wrote:
In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

I'm afraid you're mistaken, Bill. Ramps are wild leaks. They are strongly
flavored, but leaks nonetheless.

Never heard of ramps are they edible?

A quick gurgle shows:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-133.html

They aren't the same species as cultivated leeks, which are Allium
porrum, and which is not known to occur (as such) in the wild.
However, there is a wild allium with which they are interfertile;
I have no idea why they aren't described as a mere cultivated form
of that. It's native to the Near East.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-05-2009, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 16 May 2009 10:44:26 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On May 14, 4:59*am, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2009 16:07:54 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

On 13/05/09 13:15, Therefore wrote:
I have lost the labels from both onion and leek seedlings
which are about 6" high.

Is there any way that I differentiate between them at this stage

TIA .............................. Leslie

* Why do you need to differentiate them?

Just plant each tray/pot load in a separate row.

As they grow, the onions will develop tubular hollow leafs whilst the
leeks will develop flat leaves.

Ed

Leeks aren't to be planted until they are about the diameter of a No.2
school pencil, and then they are placed in a trench which is slowly
filled in to give the blanched portion of the leek.

They can also be planted deep using a dibble and then compost, mulch,
etc (you know the routine) added....to accomplish the same end.

Charlie

We just use a dibble and drop in the leek, we don't fill it in;
watering always releases a little soil.

Judith

Thanks for your method, which is the same as Pat's. Simple is best.

I *used* to back fill the hole...no longer will take the time for
that! :-) I'm also thinking the same method will work for onion
seedlings. Green onions/scallions should develop a nice long white
shank this way.

Charlie

If it's not too personal, how long is your dibble, Charlie? Ones I saw
at the nursery were only about 5 inches long, top to bottom. The
business end was only about 3 inches (Is it getting warm in here?).
Somehow, it just didn't seem manly enough.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4

Old 17-05-2009, 02:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
In article
,
Judith in France wrote:

Leeks aren't to be planted until they are about the diameter of a
No.2
school pencil, and then they are placed in a trench which is slowly
filled in to give the blanched portion of the leek.

They can also be planted deep using a dibble and then compost,
mulch,
etc (you know the routine) added....to accomplish the same end.

Charlie

We just use a dibble and drop in the leek, we don't fill it in;
watering always releases a little soil.

Judith

Interesting as leek culture got me thinking they do not exist in the
wild. Stuff casting out seeds and a few manage to produce replicates.
So a pointed hole and a young plant and the chances increase.

Thank you Judith

Bill below permanent leek beds New to me!!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/allium/msg0112100512397.html

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

I'm afraid you're mistaken, Bill. Ramps are wild leaks. They are strongly
flavored, but leaks nonetheless.
Steve

Never heard of ramps are they edible?

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Yes they are quite edible. They grow wild in the southern Appalachians, many
festivals dedicated to them this time of year.
Steve

Old 17-05-2009, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

Yes they are quite edible. They grow wild in the southern Appalachians, many
festivals dedicated to them this time of year.
Steve

Thanks
Looking about found this.

http://theforagerpress.com/fieldguide/aprilfd.htm

Bill

Old 19-05-2009, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill wrote:

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

Yes they are quite edible. They grow wild in the southern Appalachians,
many
festivals dedicated to them this time of year.
Steve

Thanks
Looking about found this.

http://theforagerpress.com/fieldguide/aprilfd.htm

Bill

I thought about the ramp images for a few days that are posted here.
They look almost like small or immature daffodils which are toxic.

Bill