Old 04-07-2009, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Seed dryer

I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from
my garden. It could be either solar or electric powered. If anyone can
direct me to an appropriate site etc. I'd be appreciative.

Also if someone could send me the URL for vendors/manufacturers of home
garden type seed dryers I'd appreciate that.

TIA,
EJ in NJ
Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 13:24:10 -0400, Ernie Willson
wrote:

I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from
my garden. It could be either solar or electric powered. If anyone can
direct me to an appropriate site etc. I'd be appreciative.

Also if someone could send me the URL for vendors/manufacturers of home
garden type seed dryers I'd appreciate that.

TIA,
EJ in NJ

Silica Gel

Charlie

As usual Right On.

http://forums.seedsavers.org/showthread.php?t=508

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.youtube.com/usnationalarchives
Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from my
garden. It could be either solar or electric powered. If anyone can direct
me to an appropriate site etc. I'd be appreciative.

Also if someone could send me the URL for vendors/manufacturers of home
garden type seed dryers I'd appreciate that.

What sort of seeds are you wanting to dry?

I just leave seeds on my kitchen bench on a piece of paper towle or even
just in a small glass bowl to dry before I store them.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from my
garden.

What sort of seeds are you wanting to dry?

I just leave seeds on my kitchen bench on a piece of paper towle or even
just in a small glass bowl to dry before I store them.

Mostly I am drying flower seedheads and vegetable seeds. Flowers include
Coreopsis, Asters, Shasta Daisy, Heliopsis, Marigold, Zinnia and
Gallardia. Vegetables include Tomato, Summer Squash, Peas, Radish,
Eggplant and Peppers.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from
my garden.

What sort of seeds are you wanting to dry?

I just leave seeds on my kitchen bench on a piece of paper towle or even
just in a small glass bowl to dry before I store them.

Mostly I am drying flower seedheads and vegetable seeds. Flowers include
Coreopsis, Asters, Shasta Daisy, Heliopsis, Marigold, Zinnia and
Gallardia. Vegetables include Tomato, Summer Squash, Peas, Radish,
Eggplant and Peppers.

Unless you live in an extremely humid area, why do you need a seed drier?

As I mentioned, my kitchen bench works fine for drying the seeds I keep or
indeed, the plant itself where I leave a lot of seed heads to mature because
I figure nature knows best how to do it and why should I interfere given
that I can just harvest the seeds when dried.

I mention humidity because that can certainly spoil some seeds but in most
circumstances, anywhere that you can survive, your seeds will too until you
are ready to store them.

I save my tomato seeds by fermenting them for a few days in an old jar with
some water, then run them under running water and then dump them out onto a
piece of kitchen paper towel adn then leave them on the bench till the paper
towel and the seeds are dry. I then just roll up the paper towel and store
the whoel thing till time to plant when I just either peel the seeds off the
paer towle or tear the towel into tiny bits and plant the seed on the towel.

Since I've never had any problems with seeds drying on the kitchen bench and
especially the tomatoes which are sodden when I lay them out to dry, I'm
wondering why you'd go to the expense of buying a seed drier?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

wrote:

I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from
my garden. It could be either solar or electric powered. If anyone can
direct me to an appropriate site etc. I'd be appreciative.

Also if someone could send me the URL for vendors/manufacturers of home
garden type seed dryers I'd appreciate that.

TIA,
EJ in NJ

Silica Gel

Charlie

Or on a few layers of paper kitchen towel over a layer of washing powder.

Ed

Old 06-07-2009, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from
my garden.
What sort of seeds are you wanting to dry?

I just leave seeds on my kitchen bench on a piece of paper towle or even
just in a small glass bowl to dry before I store them.etc...

I'm

wondering why you'd go to the expense of buying a seed drier?

I'm sure that what you are proposing will work, but I'd like to dry the
seeds faster than I believe it can be done on my Kitchen counter etc.

Thanks

EJ in NJ
Old 06-07-2009, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:

I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds
from my garden. It could be either solar or electric powered. If
anyone can direct me to an appropriate site etc. I'd be appreciative.

Also if someone could send me the URL for vendors/manufacturers of
home garden type seed dryers I'd appreciate that.

TIA,
EJ in NJ

Silica Gel

Charlie

Or on a few layers of paper kitchen towel over a layer of washing powder.

Ed

I understand the reference to silica gel, and it looks attractive.I do
not know what washing powder is. Is it baking soda?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ
Old 06-07-2009, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:

I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from
my garden. It could be either solar or electric powered. If anyone can
direct me to an appropriate site etc. I'd be appreciative.

Also if someone could send me the URL for vendors/manufacturers of home
garden type seed dryers I'd appreciate that.

TIA,
EJ in NJ

I should have further explained...

Weigh an amount of silica gel equal to the weight of your seeds or
whatever you are drying etc...

Storing seeds prepared this way, and then stored in the freezer will
maintain them for a long long time. I have seeds that have been in
the freezer for ten years that I planted this year and germ was as
good as new.

Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks for the great explanation.

EJ in NJ
Old 07-07-2009, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message

Suzanne Ashworth is the definitive voice with regards to seed saving
and methods of seed propagation. "Seed to Seed" is the Holy Writ.

"Each to their own", said the old woman as she kissed the cow.

I find that book irritating and always reach for "The Seedsavers Handbook"
by Jude Fanton (sp?) in preference. "Seed to Seed" is for me, like Eliot
Coleman.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:
I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from
my garden. It could be either solar or electric powered. If anyone can
direct me to an appropriate site etc. I'd be appreciative.

Also if someone could send me the URL for vendors/manufacturers of home
garden type seed dryers I'd appreciate that.

TIA,
EJ in NJ

I should have further explained...

Weigh an amount of silica gel equal to the weight of your seeds or
whatever you are drying and place one or the other in something to
keep them separate and place all in an airtight container....ziploc or
whatever...for *seven* days.

Remove and store in airtight container.

Silica gel can be rejuvenated and used forever.

Suzanne Ashworth is the definitive voice with regards to seed saving
and methods of seed propagation. *"Seed to Seed" is the Holy Writ.

You can also follow the advice of others and get good results, but if
you want seeds prepared for long term storage and that will maintain
their viabilty and high rates of germination, this method is primo.

Storing seeds prepared this way, and then stored in the freezer will
maintain them for a long long time. *I have seeds that have been in
the freezer for ten years that I planted this year and germ was as
good as new.

Charlie

I use Silica Gel to dry flowers and herbs from the garden. I get mine
from www.silicagelpackets.com, they have Silica Gel that is packaged
in Tyvek which meets the FDA's requirements for being packaged with
food. Works like a charm every time and much faster than air drying.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
Charlie wrote in message

Suzanne Ashworth is the definitive voice with regards to seed saving
and methods of seed propagation. "Seed to Seed" is the Holy Writ.

"Each to their own", said the old woman as she kissed the cow.

I find that book irritating and always reach for "The Seedsavers Handbook"
by Jude Fanton (sp?) in preference. "Seed to Seed" is for me, like Eliot
Coleman.

I use "Saving Seeds" by Marc Rogers. It seems OK to me.
EJ in NJ
Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

wrote:
I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from
my garden. etc

Charlie

I use Silica Gel to dry flowers and herbs from the garden. I get mine
from www.silicagelpackets.com, they have Silica Gel that is packaged
in Tyvek which meets the FDA's requirements for being packaged with
food. Works like a charm every time and much faster than air drying.

Thanks for the lead. Looks like good stuff.
EJ in NJ
Old 09-07-2009, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Ernie Willson wrote in news:4a4f8ff0$0$3540
:

I'm looking for plans for a homebuilt seed dryer to dry the seeds from
my garden. It could be either solar or electric powered. If anyone can
direct me to an appropriate site etc. I'd be appreciative.

Also if someone could send me the URL for vendors/manufacturers of home
garden type seed dryers I'd appreciate that.

TIA,
EJ in NJ

93,000,000,000 miles away is the thing you are looking for :-}
Old 09-07-2009, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

http://www.i4at.org/surv/soldehyd.htm
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn

Seed dryer Ernie Willson Gardening 25 08-08-2009 03:12 PM
if you will scold Oscar's stable to dusts, it will incredibly irrigate the dryer Donovan Riemann, RCMP United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 12:20 PM
one more shallow blunt printer improves stickers throughout Lloyd's bad dryer U. MacGinnity United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 10:47 AM
if you'll care Jonathan's ceiling with farmers, it'll inadvertently comb the dryer Alexandra United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 10:41 AM
yesterday Mohammar will cover the painter, and if Oliver wistfully believes it too, the dryer wi Kouyu Gardening 0 22-04-2004 12:02 AM