Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Iron phosphate to kill moss

Hi

After Googling around various lawn sites I went to some garden centres
looking for some iron phosphate to kill moss in my lawn, ahead of
scarifying in April. Couldn't find any in the lawn product sections,
mosskiller for lawns always seems to be sold mixed in with lawn feed.
But came across some being sold as a soil conditioner and feed.

What I can't find though is an application rate for use in the way I
have in mind.

Can anyone advise please - or could I just use the proprietry "feed and
weed" lawn products?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 12:08:59 -0600, "John Price"
wrote:

Hi

After Googling around various lawn sites I went to some garden centres
looking for some iron phosphate to kill moss in my lawn, ahead of
scarifying in April. Couldn't find any in the lawn product sections,
mosskiller for lawns always seems to be sold mixed in with lawn feed.
But came across some being sold as a soil conditioner and feed.

What I can't find though is an application rate for use in the way I
have in mind.

Can anyone advise please - or could I just use the proprietry "feed and
weed" lawn products?

Thanks

I think you mean ferrous sulphate not phosphate. Seek out "lawn sand"
at your local garden centre or DIY place or search online for the
"recipe" to make your own.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote:

scarifying in April. Couldn't find any in the lawn product sections,
mosskiller for lawns always seems to be sold mixed in with lawn
feed. But came across some being sold as a soil conditioner and
feed.

Yup - sulphate it is!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/03/2012 18:08, John Price wrote:
Hi

After Googling around various lawn sites I went to some garden centres
looking for some iron phosphate to kill moss in my lawn, ahead of
scarifying in April. Couldn't find any in the lawn product sections,
mosskiller for lawns always seems to be sold mixed in with lawn feed.
But came across some being sold as a soil conditioner and feed.

What I can't find though is an application rate for use in the way I
have in mind.

Can anyone advise please - or could I just use the proprietry "feed and
weed" lawn products?

ITYM Ferrous ammonium sulphate usually cut with sand as "lawn sand" or
if it includes a broadleaf weedkiller as well "weed and feed".

Iron phosphate would be pretty insoluble, but Organic(TM) growers
apparently do use it to kill slugs and snails.

Be warned that any of these will iron stain paths and concrete.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 06-03-2012, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 5, 6:08*pm, "John Price" wrote:
Hi

After Googling around various lawn sites I went to some garden centres
looking for some iron phosphate to kill moss in my lawn, ahead of
scarifying in April. Couldn't find any in the lawn product sections,
mosskiller for lawns always seems to be sold mixed in with lawn feed.
But came across some being sold as a soil conditioner and feed.

What I can't find though is an application rate for use in the way I
have in mind.

Can anyone advise please - or could I just use the proprietry "feed and
weed" lawn products?

Thanks

Waste of time. It will come back. You need to sort out the problem.
Drainage etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moss#In...ng_moss_growth

Old 08-03-2012, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , John
Price writes
Hi

After Googling around various lawn sites I went to some garden centres
looking for some iron phosphate to kill moss in my lawn, ahead of
scarifying in April. Couldn't find any in the lawn product sections,
mosskiller for lawns always seems to be sold mixed in with lawn feed.
But came across some being sold as a soil conditioner and feed.

What I can't find though is an application rate for use in the way I
have in mind.

Can anyone advise please - or could I just use the proprietry "feed and
weed" lawn products?

Thanks

Sold by Aylesbury allotment garden store as a moss killer and worm
cast preventer. Sold in great dustbins so you can buy as little or as
much as you like, you dilute and then dilute it again before spraying it
on but not on concrete or you'll get rust.

Will dig out rates that are recommended.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-03-2012, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jake
writes
I think you mean ferrous sulphate not phosphate. Seek out "lawn sand"
at your local garden centre or DIY place or search online for the
"recipe" to make your own.

Cheers, Jake

Usually sold is sulphate of iron.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote:

On Mar 5, 6:08*pm, "John Price" wrote:
Hi

After Googling around various lawn sites I went to some garden
centres looking for some iron phosphate to kill moss in my lawn,
ahead of scarifying in April. Couldn't find any in the lawn product
sections, mosskiller for lawns always seems to be sold mixed in
with lawn feed. But came across some being sold as a soil
conditioner and feed.

What I can't find though is an application rate for use in the way I
have in mind.

Can anyone advise please - or could I just use the proprietry "feed
and weed" lawn products?

Thanks

Waste of time. It will come back. You need to sort out the problem.
Drainage etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moss#In...ng_moss_growth

Thankyou - I am actually intending to look at all that, but first step
is get rid of what's already there, hence my question

Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

[...]

Thanks - I have the product, but need to know the application rate.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
harry writes
Waste of time. It will come back. You need to sort out the problem.
Drainage etc.

Not as taught by Sparsholt college . Ray Broughton says it is more
that grass isn't growing properly and moss taking advantage of that than
moss overcoming grass.
He says kill off and rake off moss then germinate good quality grass
seed and then scatter on bare areas, once you are able to give grass
good conditions (IYSWIM)

Old 09-03-2012, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 00:06:22 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article
,
harry writes
Waste of time. It will come back. You need to sort out the problem.
Drainage etc.

Not as taught by Sparsholt college . Ray Broughton says it is more
that grass isn't growing properly and moss taking advantage of that than
moss overcoming grass.
He says kill off and rake off moss then germinate good quality grass
seed and then scatter on bare areas, once you are able to give grass
good conditions (IYSWIM)

I always emphasise that moss is not a problem but a symptom. Grass
doesn't like waterlogged soil. OTOH I'm regularly lifting clumps of
moss out of my pond. It grows on the planting shelves about 6 inches
below the surface and occasionally deeper. I think leaving some in
there helps to keep the water crystal clear (if it's not the moss then
I don't know what's doing the job).

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.