Old 31-07-2009, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato disaster

My plants are all dying, apparently I'm not alone the whole New England
crop is being wiped out by Irish potato famine fungus.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...n ew_england/
Old 31-07-2009, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 31 Jul 2009 15:04:18 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

My plants are all dying, apparently I'm not alone the whole New England
crop is being wiped out by Irish potato famine fungus.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...n ew_england/

I'm sorry to hear that. i had over 100 tomato plants succumb to blight
one year. I was able to keep some going and don't know if it was my
efforts or that a few plants were stronger. I used a strong garlic
based infusion to feed the tomatoes with, along with other herbs like
yarrow and comfrey.

i don't know if it's the same blight, but certain ones will stay in
the soil for several years.

Kate
Old 31-07-2009, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

My plants are all dying, apparently I'm not alone the whole New England
crop is being wiped out by Irish potato famine fungus.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...es/2009/07/31/

disease_that_spawned_irelands_potato_famine_hits_n ew_england/

I'm sorry to hear that. i had over 100 tomato plants succumb to blight
one year. I was able to keep some going and don't know if it was my
efforts or that a few plants were stronger. I used a strong garlic based
infusion to feed the tomatoes with, along with other herbs like yarrow
and comfrey.

i don't know if it's the same blight, but certain ones will stay in the
soil for several years.

Kate

Has anyone had any experience with blight resistant varieties? Oregon
State claims to have developed a variety called Legend that is late
blight resistant. Is it available to the public yet?