Old 03-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Taylors in Japan

Default Harvesting Garlic

I've been growing garlic in a window box planter since early last September.
The climate is subtropical (Osaka, Japan.) I started with a clove in five
spots and now have five plants growing. My question is, when would they be
ready to harvest? I've heard spring is ideal but just wanted to get other
opinions.

Thanks.
JT

Old 03-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Henriette Kress

Taylors in Japan wrote:

I've been growing garlic in a window box planter since early last September.
The climate is subtropical (Osaka, Japan.) I started with a clove in five
spots and now have five plants growing. My question is, when would they be
ready to harvest?

You can eat the greens as they come up; you wouldn't get any bulbs, but
the greens are just as good. And that's the usual part used, for indoors
garlic.

For ground-grown, harvest-time is when the leaves are yellow or brown 2/3
of the way down. That's August, if planted in September, over here; but
we're sub-arctic or perhaps even arctic.

I don't think you can expect all that much garlic from pot-grown; and from
my experience with ginger, any harvest you do get would just taste of
dirt. But that's ginger, garlic could be different.

Do let us know.

Thanks,
Henriette (fup set.)

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Old 03-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Steve Calvin

Taylors in Japan wrote:

I've been growing garlic in a window box planter since early last September.
The climate is subtropical (Osaka, Japan.) I started with a clove in five
spots and now have five plants growing. My question is, when would they be
ready to harvest? I've heard spring is ideal but just wanted to get other
opinions.

Thanks.
JT

I don't know about that growing zone but then they are beginning to
mature you'll see a small round stem come out of the middle of the
leaves (called a scape) It will grow and an oblong bulb will begin to
form at the end and chances are it will begin to curl into a circle.
CUT THESE OFF as low as possible without cutting the leaves. You do
NOT want that bulb to flower. After that just leave 'em alone until
the main leaves are brown at least 2/3 of the way to dirt level or
more even. Use the scapes just as you would garlic, or maybe even as
an additional touch in a salad.

When the leaves have died, pull the garlic and you should have nicely
developed bulbs. Wash them off and hang them in a cool dry place for a
week or two at least (although they can be used at this point) After
they've dried well, cut off the top leaves from the bulbs and store in
a dark, cool, dry place.

--
Steve

Old 05-01-2004, 12:33 AM
V_coerulea

Growing in a pot doesn't affect the taste of ginger. We let it grow for 2
yrs in a 7 gal pot and end up with a load of tremendous tasting ginger plus
more to replant. It flowers in early winter and then goes dormant even in
the greenhouse. It must be the latitude (we're at 33 deg) with lots of sun
and a long growing season. For 2 of us, we have all the ginger we can use
for powdered, candied, tea, salsa, and every other ginger use I know. I'm
sure there are some I've never heard of. Alternating 2-7gal pots is the way
to go here. It even beats outdoor in-ground production by a long shot. I
don't know of enough uses for tumeric if we tried it in pots instead of
in-ground.
Gary

"Henriette Kress" wrote in message
newsan.2004.01.03.13.19.04.952804@hetta...

Old 04-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Jeremy

I not shore about your climate but the general rule of thumb for garlic is:
Sow on shortest day, Harvest on longest. (mid winter to mid summer).

Jeremy (in New Zealand)

Old 04-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Gary Woods

"Jeremy" wrote:

Sow on shortest day, Harvest on longest. (mid winter to mid summer).

Like most folk advice, not terribly useful.
In my location, the ground is frozen solid on the shortest day, and the
garlic is well short of mature on the longest.
Your mileage may vary.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Loki

il Tue, 4 May 2004 20:38:09 +1200, "Jeremy" ha scritto:

I not shore about your climate but the general rule of thumb for garlic is:
Sow on shortest day, Harvest on longest. (mid winter to mid summer).

Jeremy (in New Zealand)

"Taylors in Japan" wrote in message
I've been growing garlic in a window box planter since early last

September.
The climate is subtropical (Osaka, Japan.) I started with a clove in five
spots and now have five plants growing. My question is, when would they

be
ready to harvest? I've heard spring is ideal but just wanted to get other
opinions.

Harvest when the tops fall over. According my gardening guide.

--
Cheers,

Old 05-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Henriette Kress

Gary Woods wrote:
"Jeremy" wrote:

Sow on shortest day, Harvest on longest. (mid winter to mid summer).

Like most folk advice, not terribly useful.
In my location, the ground is frozen solid on the shortest day, and the
garlic is well short of mature on the longest.
Your mileage may vary.

Aye. Up here we plant in September and dig up in July-August.

Henriette

Old 05-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Ross Reid

"Loki" wrote:

il Tue, 4 May 2004 20:38:09 +1200, "Jeremy" ha scritto:

I not shore about your climate but the general rule of thumb for garlic is:
Sow on shortest day, Harvest on longest. (mid winter to mid summer).

Jeremy (in New Zealand)

"Taylors in Japan" wrote in message
I've been growing garlic in a window box planter since early last

September.
The climate is subtropical (Osaka, Japan.) I started with a clove in five
spots and now have five plants growing. My question is, when would they

be
ready to harvest? I've heard spring is ideal but just wanted to get other
opinions.

Harvest when the tops fall over. According my gardening guide.

Not a bad harvesting guide for onions but definitely wrong for garlic.
Garlic should be harvested when it still has at least five green
leaves remaining. These five green leaves turn into the paper wrappers
around the bulb. If you wait until the tops fall over there will be no
protection for the individual cloves.
Anyone really interested in growing garlic should seriously consider
purchasing a book entitled Growing Great Garlic by Ron L. Engeland.
No, I don't have any financial connection to the book.
Ross,
Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º19' North
80º16' West

Old 05-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Bus Driver

On Wed, 05 May 2004 13:13:57 GMT, Ross Reid wrote:

Not a bad harvesting guide for onions but definitely wrong for garlic.
Garlic should be harvested when it still has at least five green
leaves remaining. These five green leaves turn into the paper wrappers
around the bulb. If you wait until the tops fall over there will be no
protection for the individual cloves.
Anyone really interested in growing garlic should seriously consider
purchasing a book entitled Growing Great Garlic by Ron L. Engeland.
No, I don't have any financial connection to the book.
Ross,
Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º19' North
80º16' West

I agree.

The first couple years I grew garlic, I harvested using the "tops
down" criteria. I found the cloves to be seperated with soil in
between. I was harvesting too late, ususally around mid July.

I have an extraordinary crop this year. I estimate I'll be harvesting
late-May/early-June.

I was going to put a couple current photos on the web but I've
misplaced my camera.

I put the following on the web on 4-18.

http://users.megapath.net/~gletendre...c/DSC00040.JPG

http://users.megapath.net/~gletendre...c/DSC00039.JPG

scr
Vancouver, WA
Old 05-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Gary Woods

Ross Reid wrote:

Anyone really interested in growing garlic should seriously consider
purchasing a book entitled Growing Great Garlic by Ron L. Engeland.

Ron's book is fine, though with a northwest accent, as that's where he is.
I got some varieties from his farm, and most did OK in my _very_ different
climate.

Shameless plug: On my personal page in the .sig below, you'll find very
basic garlic growing info, as well as pointers to some growers. If there's
a garlic festival you can get to, that's best of all for local information.
I've never found a garlic grower who wasn't happy to share information at
great length...

Old 06-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Loki

Well, all I can say is that the harvesting rules probably alter
according to climate. And planting time. I have harvested garlic in
mid winter -waaay after the tops died down, they're mushy then if
it's been wet although a few do survive to regrow next year. I've dug
them up in summer too, but they weren't ready. I don't understand
your 5 leaves left bit. Mine never get more than five anyway. When
they
*start* to go yellow, they have obviously stopped growing. I do
reccommend a dry day though, easier to dry them off.

NZ climate is temperate. So quite how Osaka's would be different I
can't say. But a google search found plenty of advice :-)

It is obviously a matter of research. How is your Portuguse? The
abstract is English but the article isn't.
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?scri...rm=iso&tlng=en

More temperate info.
http://www.tropical-seeds.com/tech_f...=en&ie=U TF-8

Try a search on garlic tropical and harvesting. See what you find.

--
Cheers,

Old 06-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Loki

il 06 May 2004 10:54:33 +1200, "Loki" ha scritto:

Try a search on garlic tropical and harvesting. See what you find.

I've found several sources that talk about tops yellowing. This is
one.
http://w3.aces.uiuc.edu/NRES/extensi...-11/VC-11.html
The other is my book for NZ conditions, and some other sites.
--
Cheers,

Old 06-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Cinnamon

Bus Driver wrote in message . ..
[...]

How many bulbs will you get from each of those plants do you think Bubba?

Cinnamon (newbie soon to be gardener)