Old 06-12-2009, 01:54 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Zucchini blossom end rot

On 5/12/2009 8:20 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
hope this helps....

http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Content/File/...t_Pest/479.pdf

Thanks. None of the listed ways that insufficient calcium would be
available seem to apply. I may just continue cutting most of them
small (zucchini flowers are very "in" you know) and leave a few to
grow, or not, and await developments.

David

OK a longer check off list needs to be made it seems.
No heavy winds or sudden rain after a period of drought?

No, puzzling isn't it.

As you said you had record temperatures, could it be that these have
affected pollination at that crucial time.
I have the idea planted in the back of my mind somewhere, that
pollination stops when the temperature gets too high, and it may also
be that bees stop pollinating for the same reason....They slack off
on hot days....

This is true of some species such as tomatoes but I have not heard of it
regarding marrows. That doesn't mean that it isn't so.

David

Youre not easy to convince are you?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:21 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Jonthe Fly wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
[...]

I do not rush into conclusions. I have grown zuccs right through summer
here for years, which is just as hot or hotter than the last month, and not
had the problem of BER. I think the prolonged flagellation of this
particular horse has just about reduced it to component molecules.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Jonthe Fly wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
[...]

I always reckon if the others have been eliminated, whats left is the
answer. Have they been eliminated? Experience in servicing electronics
has taught me that. I would have thought the extreme hot weather would
have been the first thing to come to your mind. It does with me.
I reckon it could be climate change. Of course not living where youre
living, I wouldnt have known about the heat you were
experiencing.....But youve gone strangely quiet on this....
Never mind.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:02 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Jonthe Fly wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
Jonthe Fly wrote:
[...]

The name is different, but the syntax is familiar. My, aren't you the
shy one.

Sooo, you've read Sherlock Holmes, eh? Well, bully for you. And then,
your mind just seems to just caved in.

I someone stood near you, which ocean would they hear?
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 08-12-2009, 02:35 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Wildbilly wrote:
The name is different, but the syntax is familiar. My, aren't you the
shy one.

Sooo, you've read Sherlock Holmes, eh? Well, bully for you. And then,
your mind just seems to just caved in.

I someone stood near you, which ocean would they hear?

He appears to be posting from an Australian ISP. Who do you think it is?

David

Old 08-12-2009, 03:50 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Wildbilly wrote:
The name is different, but the syntax is familiar. My, aren't you the
shy one.

Sooo, you've read Sherlock Holmes, eh? Well, bully for you. And then,
your mind just seems to just caved in.

I someone stood near you, which ocean would they hear?

He appears to be posting from an Australian ISP. Who do you think it is?

David

My bet is on the Ghost of Christmas Past!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:10 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Wildbilly wrote:
The name is different, but the syntax is familiar. My, aren't you the
shy one.

Sooo, you've read Sherlock Holmes, eh? Well, bully for you. And then,
your mind just seems to just caved in.

If someone stood near you, which ocean would they hear?

He appears to be posting from an Australian ISP. Who do you think it is?

David

That just means that we should have stepped on the eggs when we had a
chance. They're spreading.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:01 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Wildbilly wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Wildbilly wrote:
The name is different, but the syntax is familiar. My, aren't you the
shy one.

Sooo, you've read Sherlock Holmes, eh? Well, bully for you. And then,
your mind just seems to just caved in.

If someone stood near you, which ocean would they hear?

He appears to be posting from an Australian ISP. Who do you think it is?

David

That just means that we should have stepped on the eggs when we had a
chance. They're spreading.

What would stop an American from opening an ISP account in Australia?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:30 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Wildbilly" wrote in message
In article
,
Wildbilly wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Wildbilly wrote:
The name is different, but the syntax is familiar. My, aren't you the
shy one.

Sooo, you've read Sherlock Holmes, eh? Well, bully for you. And then,
your mind just seems to just caved in.

If someone stood near you, which ocean would they hear?

He appears to be posting from an Australian ISP. Who do you think it
is?

David

That just means that we should have stepped on the eggs when we had a
chance. They're spreading.

What would stop an American from opening an ISP account in Australia?

In overstating the obvious... Well, did ya or not?

Back in July someone in CA was also confusing Blossom Drop and BER. hmmm.

Old 15-12-2009, 05:23 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Jonthe Fly writes:
I have the idea planted in the back of my mind somewhere, that
pollination stops when the temperature gets too high, and it may also be
that bees stop pollinating for the same reason....They slack off on hot
days....

Bees seem to be getting a poor rap here, and all of it undeserved. Allow
me to put in a word in their defence.

On hot summer days, flowering native trees hum loudly with the sound of
beating bees wings. The bees are working even harder in the hot weather!

If the number of bees you see in your garden falls off during heatwave
conditions, it's because those bees are needed back at the hive to fan
the brood (undeveloped bee lavae) in the comb and regulate the
temperature of the hive. Bees don't slack off in heatwave conditions,
they actually work harder than ever!

On the topic of zucchinis, as I have written here many times: the
beauty of growing zucchinis is that you DON'T NEED BEES because
zucchinis don't need pollination. Provided you harvest the fruit
within a day or two of its flower having opened, it doesn't matter
whether it has been visited by a bee or not.

Only if you want to grow a fruit to maturity do you need bees. But
allowing a zucchini to grow large means it loses its flavour, that's
why they need to be harvested while young and tender. In addition, not
allowing any of the fruit to grow for more than a few days keeps the
plant flowering vigorously and producing even more fruit, thus
improving the yield.

Zucchini blossom end rot David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 26 15-12-2009 05:23 AM
Zucchini blossom end rot Jonthe Fly Australia 0 05-12-2009 01:51 AM
rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (thanks) Lynn Coffelt Edible Gardening 3 12-05-2003 03:32 AM
tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (long) Frogleg Edible Gardening 3 01-05-2003 04:32 AM