Old 08-05-2010, 03:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Garlic

Are you sure it is garlic? Normally garlic doesn't have long roots.

I would just replant them and let them go until the tops have died back(
Normally July here in Kansas). I wouldn't worry about the roots being too
long. Then I dig them up, clean them off, let them set (not in the sun)
where the air can get to them for 10 days or so to cure. Then I cut the
tops off except for the last 3 or 4 inches above the ball and store them in
a cool room (not the fridge) until the end of August or first of September.
Then I break a few of the balls apart, plant the larger cloves, and use the
smaller ones. Then wait for next summer and do it all over again.

Dwayne

"geowicz" wrote in message

Have unearthed a quantity of garlic in a corner of the garden, which is
sprouting. The roots are very long and was thinking that if I trim the
roots back, like leeks, would they still grow after planting?

--
geowicz

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Speaking of garlic... John S. DeBoo Edible Gardening 4 29-05-2003 10:20 PM
Elphant Garlic Bill Edible Gardening 11 29-05-2003 05:20 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Does garlic set seed? Robert cubitt United Kingdom 2 20-10-2002 09:39 PM