Old 21-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Northern Scotland
Default Garlic

Have unearthed a quantity of garlic in a corner of the garden, which is sprouting. The roots are very long and was thinking that if I trim the roots back, like leeks, would they still grow after planting?
Old 22-03-2010, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

geowicz wrote:
Have unearthed a quantity of garlic in a corner of the garden, which
is sprouting. The roots are very long and was thinking that if I trim
the roots back, like leeks, would they still grow after planting?

Probably.

David
Old 22-03-2010, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Heritage Beans

In article ,
Beanman wrote:

Hi im completely nuts about growing heritage beans,just love their
diversity, would love to hear from anyone who grows them and what they
grow,thanks

Favorite is Provider a string bean but Italian Flat beans (Jumbo)
caught may fancy due to the tasty flesh. Like pole beans but don't have
the space.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=beans

http://www.google.com/search?client=...let+of+White+B
eans&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

All sorts of beans available. Canned I buy Chick Peas, Aduki, and
black Beans from Eden Organic.

Yum HUMMUS do your own search.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending
Old 23-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by geowicz View Post
Have unearthed a quantity of garlic in a corner of the garden, which is sprouting. The roots are very long and was thinking that if I trim the roots back, like leeks, would they still grow after planting?
as far as what i learned from gardening, if a plant don't have roots, it will not grow,simple as that..
__________________
vegetable garden
Old 23-03-2010, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Beanman wrote:
Hi im completely nuts about growing heritage beans,just love their
diversity, would love to hear from anyone who grows them and what they
grow,thanks

I like a pole bean called "Rattlesnake", but I usually grow "Romano"
instead because it's also good and more prolific. I haven't had much
luck with bush beans here; the weather or the rabbits always kill them
(but "Contender" and "Jumbo" are good ones.)

Bob

Old 23-03-2010, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Beanman wrote:
Hi im completely nuts about growing heritage beans,just love their
diversity, would love to hear from anyone who grows them and what they
grow,thanks

I like a pole bean called "Rattlesnake", but I usually grow "Romano"
instead because it's also good and more prolific. I haven't had much
luck with bush beans here; the weather or the rabbits always kill them
(but "Contender" and "Jumbo" are good ones.)

Bob

Is contender a yellow provider? It has been awhile.

Old 23-03-2010, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Beanman wrote:
Hi im completely nuts about growing heritage beans,just love their
diversity, would love to hear from anyone who grows them and what they
grow,thanks

I like a pole bean called "Rattlesnake", but I usually grow "Romano"
instead because it's also good and more prolific. I haven't had much
luck with bush beans here; the weather or the rabbits always kill them
(but "Contender" and "Jumbo" are good ones.)

Bob

Is contender a yellow provider? It has been awhile.

I don't know anything about Provider, but Contender is rather skinny
green bean with a good flavor, and it bears early -- something like 53
days for the first crop (some catalogs say 40 days) and then a second
crop a week or two later.

Bob
Old 24-03-2010, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
Beanman wrote:

Hi im completely nuts about growing heritage beans,just love their
diversity, would love to hear from anyone who grows them and what they
grow,thanks

Favorite is Provider a string bean but Italian Flat beans (Jumbo)
caught may fancy due to the tasty flesh. Like pole beans but don't have
the space.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=beans

http://www.google.com/search?client=...let+of+White+B
eans&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

All sorts of beans available. Canned I buy Chick Peas, Aduki, and
black Beans from Eden Organic.

Yum HUMMUS do your own search.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

I certainly agree with the Jumbo, but my all-time favorite is a pole bean
called Greasy. It's fairly common in rural Appalachia but I've never seen
the see in any catalog. My seed has been grown by me and a friend's family
for over 100 years.
Steve
(edamame this year)

Old 24-03-2010, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://rareseeds.com/cart/products/Greasy_Grits_Pole_Bean-1262-119.html

--
http://chrisblattman.com/2009/10/01/tyranny-and-twitter-pacifism/
Old 24-03-2010, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Beanman wrote:

[...]

What do the bean seeds look like? I know someone who is looking for
an old Southern bean like a field pea. If you have any pictures I
will pass them on to him.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Old 24-03-2010, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/farmerj...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/farmerj...n/photostream/

http://www.farmerjay.com/2009/05/05/...y-grits-beans/

Old 24-03-2010, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 22, 2:10*am, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
geowicz wrote:
Have unearthed a quantity of garlic in a corner of the garden, which
is sprouting. The roots are very long and was thinking that if I trim
the roots back, like leeks, would they still grow after planting?

Probably.

David

I never heard of trimming garlic roots but roots or no roots they
should grow after planting. Best to keep as much of the root as you
can though!
Old 25-03-2010, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Reminder as to why we grow our own

In article ,
maxbill89 wrote:

Hi...All...
I have read this Apple is very important is our health But you have
an 8 year old Macintosh apple tree that is great
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
thank you

http://www.foodnews.org/fulllist.php

RANK, FRUIT OR VEGGIE, SCORE
1 (worst) Peach 100 (highest pesticide load)
2 Apple 93
3 Sweet Bell Pepper 83
4 Celery 82
5 Nectarine 81
6 Strawberries 80
7 Cherries 73
8 Kale 69
9 Lettuce 67
10 Grapes - Imported 66
11 Carrot 63
12 Pear 63
13 Collard Greens 60
14 Spinach 58
15 Potato 56
16 Green Beans 53
17 Summer Squash 53
18 Pepper 51
19 Cucumber 50
20 Raspberries 46
21 Grapes - Domestic 44
22 Plum 44
23 Orange 44
24 Cauliflower 39
25 Tangerine 37
26 Mushrooms 36
27 Banana 34
28 Winter Squash 34
29 Cantaloupe 33
30 Cranberries 33
31 Honeydew Melon 30
32 Grapefruit 29
33 Sweet Potato 29
34 Tomato 29
35 Broccoli 28
36 Watermelon 26
37 Papaya 20
38 Eggplant 20
39 Cabbage 17
40 Kiwi 13
41 Sweet Peas - Frozen 10
42 Asparagus 10
43 Mango 9
44 Pineapple 7
45 Sweet Corn - Frozen 2
46 Avocado 1
47 (best) Onion 1 (lowest pesticide load)

If you already grow your own, and want it to be as good as commercial
produce, go to a nursery or hardware store, purchase the pesticide of
your choice, and spray on fruit and veggies to taste.

Old 25-03-2010, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Beanman wrote:

[...]

Bill, that sounds like the bean. There are at least 3 different greasy beans
grown by seed savers in Western NC. All are pole beans and strong runners.
The Greasy Cut short has only 4-6 beans to the pod, so they're just strung
and broken in 1/2. The long greasy (my type) has 8-11 beans per pod and then
there is the big greasy. It has 8-11 beans and a very thick, fleshy pod.

I like to let the long greasy get very full before picking. The beans have a
rich, nutty flavor and are wonderful for canning. The cut shorts make the
best "leather britches".

Steve

Old 26-03-2010, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
maxbill89 wrote:

[...]

Good to see avocados are low on the list, since I cannot grow them in
Michigan. I eat about 3 avocados per week, bananas 3 per month.

Also, thanks for the reminding me to prune my apple trees, now is the
time for pruning

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Speaking of garlic... John S. DeBoo Edible Gardening 4 29-05-2003 10:20 PM
Elphant Garlic Bill Edible Gardening 11 29-05-2003 05:20 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Does garlic set seed? Robert cubitt United Kingdom 2 20-10-2002 09:39 PM