Old 24-03-2010, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default broccoli

Last year I planted broccoli and it was bitter. What is the breed
that you buy in the supermarket so I can see if I can find it to grow?

Thanks!
Old 24-03-2010, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 24, 1:34*pm, phorbin wrote:
In article 9c236c81-92ed-4d7b-8dad-ba64a7df2840@
30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com, says...

Last year I planted broccoli and it was bitter. *What is the breed
that you buy in the supermarket so I can see if I can find it to grow?

Thanks!

It's not going to be just one variety,

What were your growing conditions last season.

Temperature, water, watering cycle, soil etc.

Any hint of disease?

The odds are very good that you bought something that would have been
just fine in *less than optimum circumstances. It's a reasonable guess
that something other than the variety was the issue.

No hint of disease- and this was the 2nd season I grew broccoli. I'll
chalk it up to soil and growing conditions. Weather wise I'm outside
of Philly, and soil wise I have clay dirt that I sprinkled with
Miracle Grow.

Thanks!!
Old 24-03-2010, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Eddie G wrote:

No hint of disease- and this was the 2nd season I grew broccoli. I'll
chalk it up to soil and growing conditions.

A lot of things are nicer when they grow rapidly, so perhaps something
slowed the broccoli?
As we Red Sox fans used to say, "Wait 'til next year!"

Old 24-03-2010, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 24, 10:51*am, Eddie G wrote:
Last year I planted broccoli and it was bitter. *What is the breed
that you buy in the supermarket so I can see if I can find it to grow?

Thanks!

If you want a really unusual broccoli, try the Romanesco Broccoli. My
wife grew some last year and it's great, a cross between broccoli and
cauliflower. We first came across it in a DVD on chaos theory; it's a
natural example of fractals. Details at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesco_broccoli

Paul

Old 25-03-2010, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 24, 7:08*pm, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:19:45 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

On Mar 24, 10:51*am, Eddie G wrote:
Last year I planted broccoli and it was bitter. *What is the breed
that you buy in the supermarket so I can see if I can find it to grow?

Thanks!

If you want a really unusual broccoli, try the Romanesco Broccoli. My
wife grew some last year and it's great, a cross between broccoli and
cauliflower. We first came across it in a DVD on chaos theory; it's a
natural example of fractals. Details at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesco_broccoli

Paul

Lordy, lordy... that's like broccoli on acid......it's gorgeous!

I'm having some of that next year, or maybe yet this fall.

Thanks

Charlie

Old 25-03-2010, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

On Mar 24, 10:51*am, Eddie G wrote:
Last year I planted broccoli and it was bitter. *What is the breed
that you buy in the supermarket so I can see if I can find it to grow?

Thanks!

If you want a really unusual broccoli, try the Romanesco Broccoli. My
wife grew some last year and it's great, a cross between broccoli and
cauliflower. We first came across it in a DVD on chaos theory; it's a
natural example of fractals. Details at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesco_broccoli

Paul

Lordy, lordy... that's like broccoli on acid......it's gorgeous!

I'm having some of that next year, or maybe yet this fall.

Thanks

Charlie

My wife says that she's going to plant them in mid-summer for a fall
harvest this year.

Paul

Broccoli Luke Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Harvesting broccoli seeds. Gregory Toomey Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Broccoli and romaine lettuce: good container plants??? Mick709 Gardening 1 24-03-2003 12:20 PM
purple sprouting broccoli A.Malhotra United Kingdom 3 16-03-2003 05:56 PM
Broccoli flowers Chris Edible Gardening 1 16-02-2003 02:51 AM