Old 13-04-2010, 05:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Jiffy starter greenhouse vs wet plate

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Dogs Rule and are trainable

I understand that the dogs are in charge of the pack, but why would you
put them on a train?

To be honest, the dog has me well trained. The first day I got my little
dog, he kept barking to go outside. After a dozen times during the day,
I was getting tired of the routine and for for the first time I said NO!
He looked me in eye and walked to my floor planter and peed on it! The
little rat has some intelligence! He showed me who was in charge.
I installed a doggie door the next day. Both of us are happy

Wait 'till the raccoons find it ;O)
--
- Billy
Old 13-04-2010, 04:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Dogs Rule and are trainable
I understand that the dogs are in charge of the pack, but why would you
put them on a train?

To be honest, the dog has me well trained. The first day I got my little
dog, he kept barking to go outside. After a dozen times during the day,
I was getting tired of the routine and for for the first time I said NO!
He looked me in eye and walked to my floor planter and peed on it! The
little rat has some intelligence! He showed me who was in charge.
I installed a doggie door the next day. Both of us are happy

Wait 'till the raccoons find it ;O)

I had that trouble with the raccoons raiding the cat food. Put it (18 lb
bag) in a large container with a latch.

Next night I heard a noise and went to investigate. Found two in the
container just looking at me, wondering why I was awake. They had no
fear of me or the cats and obviously no problem with the latch.

Jeff
Old 14-04-2010, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

The doggie door leads to the deck. I made a gate for the deck. I close
the gate at night and open it during the day. My deck is really a poop
deck. I am amazed the little seven pound five year old yorkie is still
alive. Still someday a wandering coyote will get him. So far coyotes,
hawks, foxes and cars have not got him. The little dog kills a mouse or
two each month. Plays with the mouse until it is dead.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 14-04-2010, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

snip[...}
One other topic: How do you sterilize your soil?
I use an equal amount of water to soil and pour the boiling water over
the soil. I have heard from others that sterilizing soil in an indoor
oven stinks to high heaven! Do you use an outdoor grill or open pit?
Small electric toaster oven, inside. Usually use something like Gardner
& Bloome Potting Soil, but the stuff from Home Despot should work too.
Gives off a little earthy smell, which dissipates quickly. Making stock
from soup bones smells worse. If I stunk up the place, the little woman
would hang me by my, uh, . . . toes.

Hmmm...
I have no space for a toaster oven The big oven for soil, no way.
Counter space limited: Coffee pot, Blender, Stand Mixer, Food Processor,
Food Saver, Butcher knife Block and Compost Crock. Under cabinet:
Microwave over Oven, Small DVD player and an XM/Sirius radio.

For now, boiling water method seems to work.

Good luck with that. Let me know how it works out.

I use the boiling water method during the changing of house plant soils.
Works good enough for me, no problems so far.

For seed starting kits, I do not have mold problems with tops off and my
ceiling fans running. However, I purchase my seed starting soils from
the local nursery and I presume already sterilized. My home soil is not
the best mostly clay. So I have no problem with buying good soil and
compost that goes into my garden. Someday I will make my own seedling
soil and use your method of sterilizing the soil.

Old 14-04-2010, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

For problematic raccoons use the same method for foxes.
I rarely use my personal site: http://www.nadrhel.com/

Old 14-04-2010, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

If that presmption was true, I wouldn't need to sterilize my germination
soils. The peat starter would be sterilized, because they only have one
function. Except for germination, potting soil needn't be sterilized, it
would just be an added cost to the producer.

Old 14-04-2010, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Neighbor has the same kind of set-up, and wasn't he surprised when a
family of raccoons came in one night to look around, while the family
was up watching TV.

Old 14-04-2010, 06:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Taxidermy?
I rarely use my personal site: http://www.nadrhel.com/

I like Jack Daniels, and we have similar taste in foot wear.
--
- Billy
Old 14-04-2010, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

The photo with the two dogs are my feet

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM