Old 10-04-2010, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Jiffy starter greenhouse vs wet plate

I'm running an experiment to see how my wet plate method works vs a
commercial solution, specifically the Jiffy starter greenhouse which
consists of a 72 cell plastic tray with peat moss starter pellets and a
plastic top. I had extra Cosmonaut Volkov, Sun Gold Cherry and Black
Prince tomato seeds so I started a dozen pellets of each in the Jiffy. I
had already started these varieties a week ago with my wet plate method
and they've all been moved to peat pots with potting soil several days
ago. I'll report the progress of both in another week.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

I'm running an experiment to see how my wet plate method works vs a
commercial solution, specifically the Jiffy starter greenhouse which
consists of a 72 cell plastic tray with peat moss starter pellets and a
plastic top. I had extra Cosmonaut Volkov, Sun Gold Cherry and Black
Prince tomato seeds so I started a dozen pellets of each in the Jiffy. I
had already started these varieties a week ago with my wet plate method
and they've all been moved to peat pots with potting soil several days
ago. I'll report the progress of both in another week.

I love an experiment! Please let us know how it turns out and please
give us as much growing details as possible

My details - I never use the plastic tops when growing indoors. I add a
small amount of peat moss to my seedlings also (Rumored to help keep
mold and wilt down, I lost my sources to this rumor). I am using a
miracle grow seed starting mixture (I know I shouldn't). I do not use
any heat pads. I have nine south side oversized windows, each with a
heat register under the windows. Ceiling fans in every room for air
circulation. I have a cheap T-5 grow light on each of the 9 TV tray
tables. Two 72 cell trays on each table. 2 x 9 x 72 = 1296 plants!!!!

My experiment this year is be more wasteful and place a capillary mat
under half of them. To see if I can scrimp on watering at the expense of
mold.

Many, 3/4 of these plants are slow growing flowers and will go directly
from the 72 cell into the ground. The vegetables will get transplanted
and go into a heated frame. I do wish I had the funds for a green house!

I do admit I feel guilty tossing most of those plastic inserts to the
trash. Some day I will use a less wasteful method of growing plants.

Tomatoes - 30 Romas, 30 Bonny Best, 10 Brandywines and 2 Cherry 100's.
I never cared for the taste of sun golds over the Cherry 100's.
Canning Time for the fall. All tomatoes for me and no one else

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dan L. wrote:
In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

Many, 3/4 of these plants are slow growing flowers and will go directly
from the 72 cell into the ground. The vegetables will get transplanted
and go into a heated frame. I do wish I had the funds for a green house!

I'm really happy with my home made "greenhouse". There's lots of plans
for hoop type. I'm using 1" thin wall pvc (painted) and a mixed frame of
ripped 2*4's. It's covered with poly and/or vinyl shower curtain liners.

The seed starters are doing well in it.

Jeff
Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

My details - I never use the plastic tops when growing indoors. I add a
small amount of peat moss to my seedlings also (Rumored to help keep
mold and wilt down, I lost my sources to this rumor). I am using a
miracle grow seed starting mixture (I know I shouldn't). I do not use
any heat pads. I have nine south side oversized windows, each with a
heat register under the windows. Ceiling fans in every room for air
circulation. I have a cheap T-5 grow light on each of the 9 TV tray
tables. Two 72 cell trays on each table. 2 x 9 x 72 = 1296 plants!!!!

The plastic cover was the reason I'm giving the Jiffy a try. One of my
cats ate a few of the sprouts that I have in peat pots, I have lots of
spares on the wet plates so I replaced them and covered them with glad
wrap to discourage the cats (tomatoes are poisonous to cats so it's not
good for the cats as well as for the seedlings).
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

Year before last, I had mice. Last year I sealed the tray cover on with
book binder clamps. This year I have appreciably larger plants, but the
pride seems to have done their work, no problems.

The cover also holds in the humidity, and heat, which helps with the
germination. If not using prepackaged peat pots, be sure to sterilize
soil at 200°F for 30 min. to avoid mold (damping off), and having to
start all over again 2 - 3 weeks later.
--
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/6...e_us_military/

Old 11-04-2010, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

I like the Jiffy Tray. It is not cat proof and in in fact appears to
be a cat magnet. The cover simply cannot withstand the weight of a cat.

A sheet of clear poly works (no cat appeal). I think a good solution
you may be a box glued up of polyisocyanurate (R Max), with a bit of
glazing (clear poly) over it. The polyiso will help keep in the heat at
night. 4' * 8' sheets are under $10. Set the tray inside.

Jeff
(who may not know much about gardening but has a lot of experience with
cats!)
Old 12-04-2010, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Hmmm...
Are you putting your seed trays outside in the open or indoors?

Every time I used any clear plastic covers indoors, I get white looking
mold on the seed starting soil a few days later. Indoor humidity where I
live runs around 50%. It rains allot during April and May in Michigan. I
use small fans with the covers off the trays to keep the mold away.
I wonder if location makes a difference?

One other topic: How do you sterilize your soil?
I use an equal amount of water to soil and pour the boiling water over
the soil. I have heard from others that sterilizing soil in an indoor
oven stinks to high heaven! Do you use an outdoor grill or open pit?

Old 12-04-2010, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

I find the jiffy trays week and flexible. I like to use Heavy Duty
Lattice Flats with the trays for added strength. Example found at
http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/ using "8619 Heavy Duty 1020 Lattice
Flats". Dogs Rule and are trainable

Old 12-04-2010, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

I understand that the dogs are in charge of the pack, but why would you
put them on a train?
--
- Billy
Old 12-04-2010, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

I germinate inside.

Every time I used any clear plastic covers indoors, I get white looking
mold on the seed starting soil a few days later.

Yeah, damping-off.
Indoor humidity where I
live runs around 50%. It rains allot during April and May in Michigan. I
use small fans with the covers off the trays to keep the mold away.

With the hot pad and the cover on, I get a lot of condensation, on the
cover. No problem.
I wonder if location makes a difference?

Move to California and see ;O)

One other topic: How do you sterilize your soil?
I use an equal amount of water to soil and pour the boiling water over
the soil. I have heard from others that sterilizing soil in an indoor
oven stinks to high heaven! Do you use an outdoor grill or open pit?

Small electric toaster oven, inside. Usually use something like Gardner
& Bloome Potting Soil, but the stuff from Home Despot should work too.
Gives off a little earthy smell, which dissipates quickly. Making stock
from soup bones smells worse. If I stunk up the place, the little woman
would hang me by my, uh, . . . toes.
--
- Billy

Old 13-04-2010, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Dogs Rule and are trainable

I understand that the dogs are in charge of the pack, but why would you
put them on a train?

To be honest, the dog has me well trained. The first day I got my little
dog, he kept barking to go outside. After a dozen times during the day,
I was getting tired of the routine and for for the first time I said NO!
He looked me in eye and walked to my floor planter and peed on it! The
little rat has some intelligence! He showed me who was in charge.
I installed a doggie door the next day. Both of us are happy

Old 13-04-2010, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

snip[...}
One other topic: How do you sterilize your soil?
I use an equal amount of water to soil and pour the boiling water over
the soil. I have heard from others that sterilizing soil in an indoor
oven stinks to high heaven! Do you use an outdoor grill or open pit?

Small electric toaster oven, inside. Usually use something like Gardner
& Bloome Potting Soil, but the stuff from Home Despot should work too.
Gives off a little earthy smell, which dissipates quickly. Making stock
from soup bones smells worse. If I stunk up the place, the little woman
would hang me by my, uh, . . . toes.

Hmmm...
I have no space for a toaster oven The big oven for soil, no way.
Counter space limited: Coffee pot, Blender, Stand Mixer, Food Processor,
Food Saver, Butcher knife Block and Compost Crock. Under cabinet:
Microwave over Oven, Small DVD player and an XM/Sirius radio.

For now, boiling water method seems to work.

Old 13-04-2010, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

snip[..}

Every time I used any clear plastic covers indoors, I get white looking
mold on the seed starting soil a few days later.

Yeah, damping-off.

By the word "Yeah", you do develop mold on your seedling soil also?
If so, why still use the covers? The mold can't be good for plants?

Old 13-04-2010, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

snip[..}

Every time I used any clear plastic covers indoors, I get white looking
mold on the seed starting soil a few days later.

Yeah, damping-off.

By the word "Yeah", you do develop mold on your seedling soil also?

Only if I don't sterilize the soil. If I sterilize the soil, I have no
problem with damping off.
If so, why still use the covers? The mold can't be good for plants?

"Kills them dead", so after waiting for a week for germination, and then
spending 2 weeks watching your babies get eaten alive by mold, you get
to start all over again, hoping that if they survive, you won't fry them
when you leave them outside to harden off with the tray cover on.
Gardening can teach anyone humility.

Confidence is sterilizing the soil. 200°F (93°C) for 30 min. Otherwise
- Billy
Old 13-04-2010, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

snip[...}
[...]

Good luck with that. Let me know how it works out.
--
- Billy

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM