Old 19-04-2010, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Lagging Grape Vines

Most of my grape vines have put out leaves here in Central Maryland,
just north of Baltimore. There are three which have lots of buds but
which haven't opened yet. I figure that the two Traminette vines are
just lagging as a varietal issue, late bloomers as it were. However,
of the seven Marecal Foch vines, all but one have opened leaves. The
slow one seems healthy, lots of unopened leaf buds, it's just not
opening yet. It produced a lot of grapes last year, as did the others.
Any suggestions as to what to do about this or should I just give it
time to catch up?

Paul
Old 19-04-2010, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Pavel314 wrote:

Most of my grape vines have put out leaves here in Central Maryland,
just north of Baltimore. There are three which have lots of buds but
which haven't opened yet. I figure that the two Traminette vines are
just lagging as a varietal issue, late bloomers as it were. However,
of the seven Marecal Foch vines, all but one have opened leaves. The
slow one seems healthy, lots of unopened leaf buds, it's just not
opening yet. It produced a lot of grapes last year, as did the others.
Any suggestions as to what to do about this or should I just give it
time to catch up?

Paul

Have the buds swollen? Has it been pruned? I'm not familiar with
Marechal Foch, but if the vines set a large crop last year, they may
lack starch reserves for a quick start this year. Vines are pretty
rugged. Lacking some traumatic event, and a dearth of options, wait for
it to wake up.
--
- Billy