Old 07-05-2010, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Passion plant and okra

i think i'm going to start using the appearance of my transplanted wild
passion plants for planting my okra!

last year i learned much about planting okra, primarily that the ground
temperature must be 70F or above! i went thru 2 plantings which withered
before finding the knowledge on-line. sure enough, the ground temp was 66F.
so i waited and measured, waited and measured until i got a reading of 70F.
lo an behold my okra survived. so two days ago i check grond temp and it is
indeed 70 and today i see my passion plants have shot up to 2-3 inchs tall!

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 7, 4:21 pm, "piedmont" wrote:

so two days ago i check grond temp and it is
indeed 70 and today i see my passion plants have shot up to 2-3 inchs tall!

Andy comments:

Obviously, heat induces passion.......

PS You can grow the okra in your front yard if you
tell your wife it is Japanese Orchid.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Old 09-05-2010, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"AndyS" wrote in message
On May 7, 4:21 pm, "piedmont" wrote:

so two days ago i check grond temp and it is
indeed 70 and today i see my passion plants have shot up to 2-3 inchs
tall!

Andy comments:

Obviously, heat induces passion.......

PS You can grow the okra in your front yard if you
tell your wife it is Japanese Orchid.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Actually, it's an African hibiscus. That's the truth with no attempt at
deception.
Steve

Old 10-05-2010, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 9, 9:09 am, "Steve Peek" wrote:
Actually, it's an African hibiscus. That's the truth with no attempt at
deception.
Steve

Andy comments:

Thanks for that info. I think I can sell my wife on
hibiscusae in the front yard.....

..... they will look good beside the Australian
Ivy (cucumbers)......

:)))) Andy in Eureka, Texas
Old 10-05-2010, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"AndyS" wrote in message
On May 9, 9:09 am, "Steve Peek" wrote:
Actually, it's an African hibiscus. That's the truth with no attempt at
deception.
Steve

Andy comments:

Thanks for that info. I think I can sell my wife on
hibiscusae in the front yard.....

..... they will look good beside the Australian
Ivy (cucumbers)......

:)))) Andy in Eureka, Texas

Try the "Burgundy" variety. The plant stems and pods are a beautiful dark
red and I think they produce more than other types.
Steve
(got to plant some of that ivy today, makes good pickles they say)